Lighting For Nano Soft/lps Setup?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Fahn, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Wanting to start a saltwater tank, using a rimless 65 liter (60x36x30).

I wish to incorporate mostly soft corals, such as zoas/polys and mushrooms, and some lps such as hammer and acan.

What is a good LED fixture or bar that will provide me with good light penetration? I do prefer the more blue reef tanks that make coral colors pop more.

Stocking will otherwise be very minimal, possibly a single clown or inverts like sexy shrimp and hermit crabs... any other reef safe suggestions are welcome.

PS: I am in the US but prefer using metric so there is no confusion about my location

2. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

3. OP
    OP
    Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

4. Jesterrace

Not a fan of Biocubes due to the fact that anyone who keeps them for any length of time basically ends up spending a bunch of money upgrading each component. If you are dead set on an AIO (All In One) then I would look at the IM Nuvo Fusion tanks. They don't come with lights (but that is easily fixed) but their display/look is great and generally they do well for the money. None of the AIO really come with great lights for corals (barring Red Sea), so IMHO it's best to simply skip the ones that have them so you aren't paying money for something you are just going to replace.

Here are the IM Nuvo Fusion Tanks:

https://www.marinedepot.com/search?Query=im+nuvo+fusion&oq=IM+Nuvo+Fusion

5. OP
    OP
    Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

I was just wondering if they were worth the savings vs buying everything separately.

All my freshwater tanks are low iron rimless and I'd like to keep a reef tank that way as well.

I have plenty of experience maintaining a reef tank but have not actually set one up myself.

6. Jesterrace

Generally not better since most of them cut corners to make profits. The display on the IM Nuvos is pretty nice but not sure if they are low iron. They are rimless though.

7. OP
    OP
    Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Here's my list so far Screenshot_20190713-210117_Amazon%20Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20190713-210125_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg

8. Tony_097

Tony_097Valued MemberMember

I’ve used those sun sun wave makers on a turtle tank in the pass and the suction cup on those really suck.they have good flow but those cheap cups really turned me away from using them. I might have gotten unlucky but just sharing my experience with them.

9. OP
    OP
    Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Can you recommend a good circulation pump that won't break the bank?

10. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Jebaos have mixed reviews but I’ve had great experiences with mine. They are controllable and are a fair price. Some of the fancier ones can run you a couple hundred bucks :eek:

11. Jesterrace

Honestly all powerheads/wavemakers/gyres have mixed reviews (even the pricey ones). I would say Jebao or Koralia Hydor 3rd gens probably are the best bang for buck ones that are out there.

12. Tony_097

Tony_097Valued MemberMember

Looks like you guys beat me to it lol.