Lighting for Hard Coral Question

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay so I recently got my hands on some hard corals and I doubt they'll be doing okay for much longer. Right now I'm running on two 54w VHO T5s. One actinic light, one day light. I've been thinking about putting a PC light on that side of the tank too. Just to give them a little extra light.

I was given a Birdsnest and a Sytosa(sp?) and I don't think this is nearly enough light for them to survive.

I've had plenty of luck with mushies and xenias with this much light and I would like to know what you'd recommend.

Also, if you could clarify which (In your opinion) is best between Metal Halides or LEDs. Keep in mind I am working on a budget...but I'd still like to hear your recommendations!

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Naeusu said:
Okay so I recently got my hands on some hard corals and I doubt they'll be doing okay for much longer. Right now I'm running on two 54w VHO T5s. One actinic light, one day light. I've been thinking about putting a PC light on that side of the tank too. Just to give them a little extra light.

I was given a Birdsnest and a Sytosa(sp?) and I don't think this is nearly enough light for them to survive.

I've had plenty of luck with mushies and xenias with this much light and I would like to know what you'd recommend.

Also, if you could clarify which (In your opinion) is best between Metal Halides or LEDs. Keep in mind I am working on a budget...but I'd still like to hear your recommendations!
Hi,

to answer your question, I would need to know how deep your tank is. Generally, they require either MH,T5, or LEDs and VHO is a supplement.

LED are better than halides, but they're still pretty new in the market and are still a little expensive. LEDs gives more light with little energy and they run a lot cooler than metal halides. Some models of LEDs could be controlled. Meaning you could make it dim. IMO, the only disadvantage if LEDs compared to MH is cost. The one that I'm liiking at that's contollable is around $1000 for a master unit. (it has master and slaves so if you upgrade you just buy slave ones and connect them bassicly)

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ATP said:
Hi,

to answer your question, I would need to know how deep your tank is. Generally, they require either MH,T5, or LEDs and VHO is a supplement.

LED are better than halides, but they're still pretty new in the market and are still a little expensive. LEDs gives more light with little energy and they run a lot cooler than metal halides. Some models of LEDs could be controlled. Meaning you could make it dim. IMO, the only disadvantage if LEDs compared to MH is cost. The one that I'm liiking at that's contollable is around $1000 for a master unit. (it has master and slaves so if you upgrade you just buy slave ones and connect them bassicly)
The tank is about 18 inches deep. I keep the corals as close as I can to the lights(about six inches). Today I added two 50/50 Power compacts to the tank.

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi!
i TOO am interested in LEDs, i just ordered some of those "stunner" strips, to replace my florescent fixture in my eclipse 2 hood, ((lighting in this hood stinks imo very unreliable fixtures)
anyhoot from what i understand 8000k or 2 strips with 8000k is not enough light to have corals or anemones right??
i wish i wasn't such a newber at this, iam too am aiming to get an anemone for the clowns but don't think i have enough lighting, i like the idea of longlasting bright LED technology though...
have any links on the 1000$ system you are looking at?

btw I LOVE this forum lots of info and great people, ive been surfing and stuck the DIY forum for a week now hehe

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pacific Sun LED

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do HQI metal hilide at 18 inches deep> Get rid of the T5'S. Then you can grow what you want in hard corals!!!

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
T-5s should also be good for SPS. Depending on how much watts and how many bulbs.

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
O M G
yeah i want that light, hehe thanks for the link, way outta budget though maybe when i win the mega millions

thank you for sharing,

i put those "stunner" strip leds in today and MAN! they light up the tank WAY better now... too bad its not enough light to sustain species other than fish iam happy with them though,

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have heard many things about LED lighting it is still a young thing. Research is still in progress so I would say in a year prices will drop because new things usaully take a while just like LCD TV's.

sgh360

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tek Fixture with ATI bulbs would do wonders on SPS tanks. LED is to new and way to expensive to start off. DIY LED kits are the way to go on LED if you have the time and some experience on wiring.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads