Lighting For Easy/beginner Plants

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a Elive AquaDuo 20 gallon starter kit. I bought a java fern (which I tied to a rock) awhile ago and just recently bought some Jungle Val (I also plan on getting a dwarf lily if I can). While I know that these plants don't need much and tend to be hardy, I'm wondering if my LED lights that came with the tank/filter are even considered 'low light'. The filter in the kit came with a set of 18 white LEDs which attach underneath (it also comes with a plexiglass lid). I should note that its a 20 gal high and will be putting in a couple GBRs, endlers, and furcata rainbowfish--I think all of them like low to moderate light.

I tried contacting Elive but they are hard to get ahold of. Sorry I don't have any specs for the LEDs.

So the question is whether I should get a separate set of LEDs or if I can get by with what I have now, lighting-wise.

Thanks!

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You will probably be fine although a 20 gal is pretty tall. Really depends on the LED strength ( sometimes if they have an equivalent "wattage" rating it can help understand if the light is enough.) Root tabs for the Val is a great idea. I'm pretty sure Vals don't like Flourish Excel though have heard conflicting things on that - the fish should fertilize everything fine.

The plants will tell you if they need anything by how they grow (or don't), leaf colour and condition, that sort of thing. Low light + no ferts is a good recipe for low/no algae growth. You won't get stunning fast growth but some people like that (I do sometimes, it really cuts down on maintenance).

I personally run higher lights in my 55 and provide shade/lower light with floating plants but they aren't for everyone.

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks! I'll monitor the coloration of the leaves and get some root tabs for the Val. If the leaves turn yellow or aren't looking great I'll look into getting some more/new lighting for the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom