Lighting for Deep Aquarium

Amztagram

Hi all,

I have quite a deep tank, roughly 30" deep, cylinder, and would like to grow some plants better than I do currently. The Research ive done has led me to believe that red plants require good lighting and I believe the current lighting setup just doesn't cut it.

Can anyone recommend a good light (not too expensive) which is readily available in the UK that would penetrate deep enough to hit the bottom of my tank.
preferably LED and full spectrum.

Thank you.

Zach72202

For deep tanks you are going to want a relatively powerful light. Powerful light and cheap are pretty much an oxymoron.

Most likely you would want to go with a pendulum style light on a gooseneck. The most popular option I would say would be kessil, but they can cost (USD) $150+ easy. (120 GBP+)

Cylinder tanks are relatively hard to light as your options are pretty limited. I hate to say it, but finding something reputable for a cheap price, especially for a deep tank, would be fairly hard to come by, at least from my knowledge.

Upvote 0

Amztagram

For deep tanks you are going to want a relatively powerful light. Powerful light and cheap are pretty much an oxymoron.

Most likely you would want to go with a pendulum style light on a gooseneck. The most popular option I would say would be kessil, but they can cost (USD) $150+ easy. (120 GBP+)

Cylinder tanks are relatively hard to light as your options are pretty limited. I hate to say it, but finding something reputable for a cheap price, especially for a deep tank, would be fairly hard to come by, at least from my knowledge.

Thanks,
The issue I have it I have nowhere to hang the light fitting so ideally something to rest on top of the tank. ive attached a photo of my old set up but the same tank. bearing in mind theres a lid that goes on top.

Attachments

• 20200325_174620.jpg
    20200325_174620.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

Zach72202

Hmm. Something that is a shot in the dark, but I have used it and it works for me, flood lights for your yard, but set them on a tank.

Get one about 30-50 watts, make sure it has a plug though as some are meant to be hardwired into the house, and then put it on a timer. Obviously your options with control with a unit are very limited, but they can work and are budget friendly. I would just do some looking at different units, read reviews online (hopefully there are some for aquariums) and put some money toward a good timer for it (Like a Kasa Plug). Its a cheaper alternative, but limited and can grow algae quite well, especially green water. Doing this isn't scientific at all, more guess and check, but its much more affordable at least.

Upvote 0

faydout

Upvote 0

Zach72202

I was going to make this suggestion. This is what type I would consider (went and found them on the amazon UK site since you all have those big chunky plugs).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Onforu-Wat...eywords=floodlight+50w&qid=1613500813&sr=8-48

ETA: I've seen the guy that does MD Tanks use these for builds, and he's out of the UK, although I don't think I've ever seen him do a deep tank aquascape before.

I actually have those exact ones lol. I couldn't remember the name of them, but since you showed me I use these too. They work alright, but make a lot of algae on the walls of the tank.

Upvote 0

Amztagram

I was going to make this suggestion. This is what type I would consider (went and found them on the amazon UK site since you all have those big chunky plugs).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Onforu-Wat...eywords=floodlight+50w&qid=1613500813&sr=8-48

ETA: I've seen the guy that does MD Tanks use these for builds, and he's out of the UK, although I don't think I've ever seen him do a deep tank aquascape before.

Hi Thanks,

I like MD tanks! He's got some pretty kool tanks.
I got a problem right now with green dust algae! I was hoping a better light may help reduce this. Not increase it!
Isit an issue if the light is not full spectrum? What if i want to grow red plants?
Any idea how I will place this fitting? I cant hang it. I cant just place it on the top and i cant hang it....

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mxnewss
Replies
Views
PAcanis
  • sillylittlefishey
  • Lighting
Replies