Lighting For Corner Tanks

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a very pretty, planted tank that is just not properly lit. It's a corner pentagon that has a glass top with an open from on the glass and it's open all along the one side so the filter and heater has a spot to go. I have a light on the glass but the light can't reach the back corner. I don't want a bunch of cords hanging and dangling either. The tank is 26" deep and 38 gallons. I don't believe they make this style anymore, it's made by Oceanic, I got it off of craigslist so getting a hood for it would require it being custom made and would be extremely expensive. The amount of light it's getting in wattage also isn't correct, I keep seeing all sorts of different numbers, any help on that is also appreciated.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ooo that is an awkward one lol very individual aquarium though its nice i was going to suggest an arcadia type light i have the smaller one on my marine tank they are amazing for coral and plant growth,
bed4b09563f79a8fa29467c364ba294e.jpg
they come in all sizes you can extend and invert the arms if you wish to hang it under side of a lid.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a similar problem with a 35 gallon Hexagon tank. I wound up buying a Kessil A150 Tuna Sun light fixture with a gooseneck.
Would that give enough light to all corners or would that be a lot of light in one spot and the corners still being dark.

Ooo that is an awkward one lol very individual aquarium though its nice i was going to suggest an arcadia type light i have the smaller one on my marine tank they are amazing for coral and plant growth, they come in all sizes you can extend and invert the arms if you wish to hang it under side of a lid.
Yes, if the front sides were all uniform in size it would probably make it a bit easier. I did not realize how difficult it would be to find lighting for it though.

dcutl002

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Would that give enough light to all corners or would that be a lot of light in one spot and the corners still being dark?
I think it would. Mine is an A150 Tuna Sun. (Kessil upgraded the 150 to a 160.) If you do not think the A160 is strong enough you could try the A360WE Tuna Sun.

EDIT: Looking at your tank...I would get 2 Kessil A160WE Tuna Sun lights.

IMG_1050_zpsuz3migtf.jpg

Last edited:

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it would. Mine is an A150 Tuna Sun. (Kessil upgraded the 150 to a 160.) If you do not think the A160 is strong enough you could try the A360WE Tuna Sun.

EDIT: Looking at your tank...I would get 2 Kessil A160WE Tuna Sun lights.

View attachment 305650
Thank you! I was just wondering if I would need 2, looking at your tank mine looks like the depths of the Amazon River!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom