Lighting For Corner Tanks

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Lynn78too, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

I have a very pretty, planted tank that is just not properly lit. It's a corner pentagon that has a glass top with an open from on the glass and it's open all along the one side so the filter and heater has a spot to go. I have a light on the glass but the light can't reach the back corner. I don't want a bunch of cords hanging and dangling either. The tank is 26" deep and 38 gallons. I don't believe they make this style anymore, it's made by Oceanic, I got it off of craigslist so getting a hood for it would require it being custom made and would be extremely expensive. The amount of light it's getting in wattage also isn't correct, I keep seeing all sorts of different numbers, any help on that is also appreciated.

2. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

I had a similar problem with a 35 gallon Hexagon tank. I wound up buying a Kessil A150 Tuna Sun light fixture with a gooseneck.

3. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Post a pic of the tank

4. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

Sorry for the glare, I didn't realize how bad it was.

TankSetup.jpg

5. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Ooo that is an awkward one lol very individual aquarium though its nice i was going to suggest an arcadia type light i have the smaller one on my marine tank they are amazing for coral and plant growth, [​IMG] they come in all sizes you can extend and invert the arms if you wish to hang it under side of a lid.

6. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

Would that give enough light to all corners or would that be a lot of light in one spot and the corners still being dark.

Yes, if the front sides were all uniform in size it would probably make it a bit easier. I did not realize how difficult it would be to find lighting for it though.

7. dcutl002

I think it would. Mine is an A150 Tuna Sun. (Kessil upgraded the 150 to a 160.) If you do not think the A160 is strong enough you could try the A360WE Tuna Sun.

EDIT: Looking at your tank...I would get 2 Kessil A160WE Tuna Sun lights.

IMG_1050_zpsuz3migtf.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

Thank you! I was just wondering if I would need 2, looking at your tank mine looks like the depths of the Amazon River!

9. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

Where did you buy your Kessil?

10. dcutl002

I bought it from Marine & Reef on Amazon. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE TUNA SUN! Do not get the Tuna Blue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice