Lighting for clams?

KJC18

I'm possibly getting a 75 gal tank. The measurements on this tank are 48x18x20(or 21) i'm probably gonna go for a soft coral reef tank for now and add some clams. I was wondering if the lighting I plan to get is good for clams or not.

The lighting is a Current USA PowerCompact Orbit Fixture,

Link:

Fixture: CU01034 48" 4x130w

So is this good or do I need more lighting?

Another question: Does anyone know a good website to buy clams from??

Thanks!!

Mike

I personally wouldn't keep clams, especially the croceas in anything under T5-HO's. Metal Halides would be even better. But, that's not to say that folks aren't doing it. You may need to place the clams higher in the tank under the power compacts.

Check saltwater fish, liveaquaria, etc. I think they all carry clams.

Rbacchiega

To add on to what Mike has already said, everything that I've read says that clams, although they can sometimes survive higher up in the tank under ho or vho lighting, metal halides are the best for them.

If you do try it though, be sure that you at least try to put them in a fairly secure place...I know a buddy of mine has two clams that sem to move about the tank every week, so be careful

Wolfgang8810

I had a Crocea clam get knocked down and it ended up dying. I just gbought a 150 watt MH sunpod and I got another crocea.

agsansoo

I can't keep a clam alive for very long ... I think my tank is to deep (22"). I've lost two so far and will not buy any more. I seen a LFS with PC lighting and nitrates above 40ppm keep them just fine !

Wolfgang8810

those stores make everything look easy

agsansoo

Yeah ... They seem to well in a shallow tank with 10K MH lights.

Wolfgang8810

I have a 14k MH will that affect it adversely?

agsansoo

No, Just don't put them in deep water. Place them higher on the rocks. And keep sand out of them. Crocea's need intense light.

Wolfgang8810

yea mine is on the sand for now until it attaches to the rock that is buried in the sand. My tank is only 18 inces deep from light to clam

Rbacchiega

there's some clams in the lfs store display in a 90 with the same dimensions as mine and they are thriving....wierd. I sure hope I can keep them. My tank's 24 inches deep....dun dun dun

diver28

Rbacchiega said:
If you do try it though, be sure that you at least try to put them in a fairly secure place...I know a buddy of mine has two clams that sem to move about the tank every week, so be careful
My LFS store said the clams can close real fast and is a way of moving about the tank. They do this to find a better lighting area according to the guy. Also, I thought about buying a clam today however, the LFS said only one type of clam would be ok in t5 ho lighting. I forget the name but its mostly brownish with hints of green and small whitish type dashes... hints of purple too. And they can get big. So I'm holding off on getting a clam.

diver28

Here I posted the link to the only type of clam that could survive under T5 lighting according to my LFS. Its a Derasa Clam.

Mike

I have had tridacna croceas under T5-HO lights (8 x 54 watts) for over a year now and they are growing nicely and look great. Metal Halides would be better yes, but they're doing well under the T5's.

diver28

Wow, well how close are they to the actual light in inches? Also, is it more on the side of the Actinic bulb or the 10,000K bulb? Does the 8 mean you have 8 bulbs?

Currently I have two sets of the Nova Extreme Retrokit 24". So that gives me 4 bulbs total. 2 actinic and 2 10,000k.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom