lighting for cichlids

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by pakash, Mar 17, 2010.

1. p

pakash New Member Member

Do you think it will be right to put this kind of lighting system for my cichlids it has leds for my 55 gallon tank.

Here is the link: write it please check it out please

2. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

That's 6 watts total should give a crisp light to your tank it should bring out colors on cichlids. Gives out a brighter light than flouresants.

3. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

I was looking at this for my tank because it is relatively inexpensive, use less electricity and the lights don't need replacing. Unfortunately there really are no reviews on it yet and it doesn't look to be good for plants (which is the light I was trying to replace). I think for Cichlids it should be fine though. I woud go for it. I like Marineland and if you have technical problems with it they are excellent about replacements.

I just realized it would cost almost twice as much since you would need a larger version then the one I was looking at. Found it cheaper here...
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/247443/product.web

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  4. OP
    OP
    p

pakash New Member Member

Thanks guys, so do you think it would show the cool colors of my cichlids, i might put a couple of anubias and vallisnerias but thats all.

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

The lights will show your fish up fine. There's no way you will be able to grow plants under them though. Appart from the lack of the correct lighting your fish will soon destroy any plants that you do put in there. Decorate with large rock piles & a piece of wood for each Pleco.

PS: If that's a Common Pleco your tank is nowhere near big enough to house it. They get to about 2ft & it will be extremely uncomfortable in there once it hits about 8". The Clown Pleco will also find it to be extremely intimidating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice