Lighting for Anemones Question 

ashleigh0329

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Would my lighting be sufficient for having anemones? Coralife aqualight Dual T5 High Output 10,0000K Daylight and Actinic Blue Lamps...Thanks in Advance!x

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anemones typically need rather high lighting. How many watts is that fixture?

EDIT: Also keep in mind that many anemones are not safe for certain fish and corals. They have stinging tentacles and can be very aggressive. Don't be surprised if a fish turns up missing out of nowhere one day.

ashleigh0329

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It would only equal out to 2.4 watts per gallon? Should I return the lighting fixture? I'm new at coral What could this lighting grow. People tell me soft corals. What are some examples of some that I could have in my tank?

Thanks

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
metal halides are normally the lowest reccomended for anenomes

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mushrooms, leathers, maybe some LPS. It also depends on the placement of the corals. The ones that require a little more light would be placed at the top of the live rock closer to the lights whereas the ones that prefer lower light would be placed closer to the bottom.

ashleigh0329

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks Guys. I think its best I don't start out with Anemones. What are examples sps and lps? Do you think that 2.4 wpg is okay to start corals with?

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends on your light. You should start with softies and LPS IMO. You could keep a few easy beginner SPS corals, but I reccomend you get use to Saltwater before trying the harder corals.

SPS-acroporas
LPS-acans

ashleigh0329

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks Everyone! I'm looking forward to my lights arriving. The last couple of days I have been going to every saltwater store in a two hour radius. I have had so much help from you guys! I now know what I can and can't have and have started to be able to figure out what is what!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads