lighting for a new tank? Question

1. wadesharp Initiate Member

i just put up another tank and i dont want to spend $50+ on a high grade light... i just bought some plants and i wanted to know what kind of light would work best for about $20

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Wade. Can you tell us a little bit more. What type of plants, size tank?
    You may try checking out some of the Online Fish Stores listed under the blue bar at the top if you want to get some ideas for aquarium lighting. I saw a couple listed under $20, led lights at DrsFosterSmith.com. With a $20 budget you're a bit limited on the selection. I don't know that they would fit your needs though.
    Ken

3. wadesharp Initiate Member

its a 29 gallon tank and i got some flame moss and Fissidens splachnobryoides, yea i can spend more then $20 but that was the first thing that came to mind

4. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Check some sites to see what type of lighting those plants need. If you want to go cheap you need to start off with low light plants. I'm not familiar with the ones you listed but I know anubias, java fern and moss, some swords, and hornwort do fine in low lights. Even with low light plants you will need to figure on trying to get close to 1 watt per gallon. You can get a T8 light bulb at Lowes or HD for a couple bucks that is 6500K. These are just as good or better then the $15 bulbs the LFS will sell you.

5. wadesharp Initiate Member

well i have a lamp but i only have a 20W bulb... i was looking online and i found some places that had the size i needed and where 60-75W BUT they where sold out... so now im out of options until i get the money