Lighting for a new tank

1. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Hi All,

I just started a new 100 Gallon tank, and the light it came with is a standard light (home depot) but thing is that I transferred all my plants from my 56 Gallon and that tank had a great lighting system.

Plants in the tank now:
    Jungle Vals
    Java Fern
    Anubias
    Dwarf Hairgrass
    Hornwort
    Marimo Moss Balls
    Willow Moss
    Amazon Swords

I was thinking of going the LED lighting system, what do you think? Is there any place I can order them for a cheap price, the ones I've seen been going for $400.

thanks

2. Lupinus Member Member

Unfortunately, LED and cheap are not a combination that typically go together. Also most LED's wont support anything but low light plants unless you get one that is specifically made to work with them, which just adds to the expense.

For a tank that size and with plant capability it's not going to be cheap unfortunately.

3. ploopy Member Member

I have marineland 3 single brights and 1 double brights and definately not worth it.I have not tried to grow any lowlight plants with them.The lighting just doesnt seem like it is enough.

4. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

5. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

thank you so much. I love this online community. I've learned alot and been given tremendous helpful advice. The Dual t5 light price is awesome, but unfortunately my the lenght of my tank is 48.

I will have a question on filter, but that question is going to be in the filter section.

6. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

That is a T5NO fixture. Not enough light for most plants.

What type of set up are you wanting? Low light/low tech or high light/high tech.

I recommend looking at T5HO fixtures.

8. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I also recommend looking into T5HO lighting, you will thank yourself later on for spending the money on the higher output rather than having to buy another fixture later.

9. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I listed my plants on the previous posting, and it will be low tech.

I will look into T5HO lighting.

10. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

11. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! thank you!!!!!!!!!!! soooooo much QQQUUUAADD!!!!!! that price is awesome and free shipping......YaY!!! I will be ordering the lights..... Love this community, always helping and a diverse source of knowledge....

12. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

No problem. I was glad to help.

13. mikegip Initiate Member

lol
    i don't think 400 bucks enough to get a led light for your tank.
    T5 HO is a good choice.
    so many choices they have suggest.
    wait for your last choice.
    AmazonPassion