Lighting For A 5gallon Tank?

Zizicakes

New Member
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Alright, so I bought this hood for a 5gallon tank...And me, not knowing anything about lights, went by the recommendations on the box the hood came in. I bought some incandescent "clear bright" 15 watt bulbs for the 5gallon Aqueon hood. After putting the bulb in and turning the light on, I was very disappointed with the color and dimness of the bulb. While some people may prefer it like this, the bulb had this icky orange street light hue to it.
It makes me super uncomfortable. I'd prefer to have a white or off-white hue from the light in my tank. Much like the LED lights on my other smaller tanks.
I've already spent around $250 -$300+ on this 5gallon alone... (on a lot of stuff I ended up not using).
So I'd really like to have my tank completed, and would rather not waste more money by not knowing what I'm doing.
Long story short, do any of you have any recommendations for white (possibly brighter)? bulbs that I can use on this 5gallon hood?

Here are some images of my tank and the bulbs I'm using current moment:
photo_2018-05-22_16-07-07.jpg photo_2018-05-22_16-07-05.jpg photo_2018-05-22_16-21-53.jpg
 

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Messages
903
Reaction score
683
Points
178
Experience
More than 10 years
I use an LED candelabra bulb in my 5 gallon as it fits nicely in the socket with the guard on it. It's a 60W equivalent but is under the actual 15W max. I went with the "natural daylight" which is like 6000K and it gives TONS of white light! Cost was under $5.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Zizicakes

New Member
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Points
3
wodesorel said:
I use an LED candelabra bulb in my 5 gallon as it fits nicely in the socket with the guard on it. It's a 60W equivalent but is under the actual 15W max. I went with the "natural daylight" which is like 6000K and it gives TONS of white light! Cost was under $5.
Would it be too bright for a betta fish? I mean, 5 gallons are really small so I wouldn't want my fishy to be blinded 0.0
 

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Messages
3,628
Reaction score
3,002
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
I have these (in various sizes) in both of my tanks, planted with low light, easy plants...they are submersible and fairly bright white light, I love them, cheap too.
Tingkam 40CM Aquarium Fish Tank Waterproof fixtures aquarium lighting - with soft suction cups (White)
 

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Messages
903
Reaction score
683
Points
178
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a betta in that tank and she doesn't seem to care, hunts like crazy! Before that were ember tetras with lots of plants and they all did fantastic.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Zizicakes

New Member
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Points
3
wodesorel said:
I have a betta in that tank and she doesn't seem to care, hunts like crazy! Before that were ember tetras with lots of plants and they all did fantastic.
Would it be alright if you uploaded a photo of them or sent a link to the ones you use?
Just in case I miss something, I don't want to purchase the wrong ones XD
Also, thank you so much for responding to my post ;w;
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Zizicakes

New Member
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Points
3
WTFish? said:
I have these (in various sizes) in both of my tanks, planted with low light, easy plants...they are submersible and fairly bright white light, I love them, cheap too.
Tingkam 40CM Aquarium Fish Tank Waterproof fixtures aquarium lighting - with soft suction cups (White)
I may use something like this in my 20 gallon setup.
Thanks for the response ~
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom