Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is 100% dependant upon what you're keeping.

Reef tanks have different lighting requirements to a FO or FOWLR setup.
For Freshwater, you need to consider what type of plants you want to keep (if any), and what type and how much light they need.

So it's more about the requirements of the tank, rather than what looks the best.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes. But what COLOUR is most beautiful and relaxing.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Two answers

First, the colour is often dictated by the spectrum of the lights, thus trying to achieve a particular colour from a certain K rating won't work. Actinic tubes have a natural blue colour.

disclaimer: The following answer is in no way a recommendation on what to get, nor what I believe is suitable for any aquarium.

Personally I quite like the look of deep blue lighting. I also like the relaxing look and feel of red (e.g. in lava lamps). Depending on the season that is, in winter, red has a warm feel about it, in summer, blue can be quite soothing and cooling.

[edit:] But this is just my opinion, everyone has their own tastes.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks
I'm leaning towards blue with white... What do ya say.
Oh and will 22w pl tubes be enough for some Button polyps ( the tanks 15 gallons)

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I say refer to my very first post in this thread!!!

ryanr said:
It is 100% dependant upon what you're keeping.

Reef tanks have different lighting requirements to a FO or FOWLR setup.
And I would suggest getting lights suitable for polyps. Do some research, or search these forums for suitable lights, if you can't find a suitable thread, post a new topic.

Sorry to be blunt, but you have asked a question that has a particular answer. As aquarists, we are trying to give our fish the most natural experience we can.

I don't have any direct experience with saltwater, so can't recommend appropriate lighting.

At the end of the day, the decision is yours, but for the best results, I strongly urge you to consider the requirements of your livestock. Especially considering the financial outlay required to purchase Saltwater/marine livestock. You don't want lighting that is not suitable that will result in the death of corals/inverts.

[edit:] For the record, I have never chosen anything for my tank(s) that does not serve a purpose, or does not 'fit' with the aquarium.
My lights have been chosen to suit live plants. No matter how good the actinic tube would have looked, it was not suitable for my tank setup.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What are the dimensions of your tank? As ryanr said, you need to ignore what's best for you and go for what's best for your livestock. It's all well and good that you like the color of your Saltwater tank, but when your corals start dying or you can't get rid of your algae you won't have much life in there, though you might not be able to tell due to the algae cover. Saltwater is much different than Freshwater. You can get away with different "fun" things with Freshwater that you can't with Saltwater. Not that it makes Saltwater any better or worse than Freshwater - just different.

That said, most people go with 10K and actinics for their tanks. Actinics serve two purposes. First they provide photosynthesis which feeds the coral (the algae within the coral) and second they provide a dawn and dusk feel when run for an hour before the whites come on in the morning and an hour after they go off at night.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It might be a aqua one ar510
51cm x 30cm x 50cm

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads