29 Gallon Tank Lighting and still use hood

MushroomMang

I have a 29g tank that came with a hood with LED lighting in it but it keeps going out. Within the past year it has quit working twice each time costing 80$ to replace with the stock lighting. Looking on advice as to changing to a non stock light but still being able to use the current hood. Tank is not planted but may look into.
Thanks in advance.
20220107_083747.jpg
20220107_084244.jpg

jdhef

If it were me, I would just make a new hood out of plexiglass. You can buy continuous (plastic) hinges, so you will be able to lift the front portion for feeding etc. I'm sure you could also find a stick on handle to lift, but if not, you could just make one and epoxy it on.

Doing this would make it possible to use some good lighting with a lot of features.

BigManAquatics

Honestly i would consider an Aqueon Deluxe or Deluxe LED hood. You can buy individual bulbs for those. I had the one you got in the pic but for a 20 gal, never liked it.

kansas

Could you drill holes in the lid and then attach most any light with cable locks?

Blacksheep1

I superglued the led brackets inside my hood and just popped an led in on one tank. For another I bought the correct light and conversion kit for it not to fit, so my husband drilled screws into the old light fittings.
You could always buy an led strip that sits on the top of the glass and scrap the hood ? If you want something to cover the water get a plexi glass lid like above said

Arvil

I have a 20 gallon tall, had a fluorescent light as part of the hood for 19 years. Replaced it last year with a two-part glass top and an LED light that just sits on the rear glass. Works well.

MushroomMang

Copy that. Guess I'll go the drill and zip tie method. What light fixture would you reccomend? Looking at the finnex lights and they seem pretty dope. Are they water proof though as the condensation seems to be the issue with shorting out my other so called water proof lights?
If it were me, I would just make a new hood out of plexiglass. You can buy continuous (plastic) hinges, so you will be able to lift the front portion for feeding etc. I'm sure you could also find a stick on handle to lift, but if not, you could just make one and epoxy it on.

Doing this would make it possible to use some good lighting with a lot of features.
Copy that. So plexiglass lid and then have the light outside the aquarium? Or underneath the lid? Which light fixture/brand do you reccomend?

Arvil

Mine sits on top of the lid, no condensation there. LED is the best, energy efficient, rare burnouts. Research for color and lumens for your tank. Mine happens to be Nicrew ReefLED aquarium light. It came with a timer, set the time, then set the on/off times for the white/yellow (simulates daylight), and blue (simulates moonlight, sorta) on/off time. When each go on and off, they do so gradually over 15 minutes, 1% each nine seconds, to simulate sunrise and set, and moonrise and set. Doesn’t startle the fish with sudden on/off.
Nicrew Aquarium

MushroomMang

Idk why I never looked into replacing the top before. Guess i assumed that it wouldnt fit with my hang on back filter. Anyways i picked up a topfin glass folding top from petsmart for 12$ and a finnex planted + hlc for 80$. Looks great.

Attachments

• 20220110_141250.jpg
    20220110_141250.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 3

Arvil

Yeah, the back couple inches is a plastic insert you can modify to fit your equipment.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Blueberrybetta
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fish99
  • Question
Replies
Views
Laura306