Lighting and Fish

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by cbowlincatfish, Jan 4, 2013.

1. cbowlincatfishValued MemberMember

I leave the lights to my tank on from 8-11 hrs a day there have been times I didn't turn the light on at all, is to much light bad for the fish or does it matter how long the light is on. My SD's prefer no night as well as the pleco's.

2. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

My uncles 35 gallon had a timer he would leave it on all day from about noon until 5 then it would switch to a lower level light still a light but dimmer and then to no light at all through the night. I think it's good if your housing plants however its a gateway to the growth of algae! Careful

3. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

I also have a timer but my tank is in the high light category and my cories don't like it so they have a series of underground PVC tunnels to hang out in during the 7 hours the bright lights are on. They seem to appreciate it.

4. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

you dont really have to have lights on. if your room gets natural light that should be enough. its more important to turn your lights off then on. fish deff need some dark time. the 8-11 hours is ok imo, some people only leave there lights on for 6 hours to make sure there isnt a algae problem.

5. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Yes algae thrives off of light! And it will grow as thick as it can and in order to get rid of it i had to boil everything! It was crazy scrubbing my tank all day. You Pleco will like the algae it creates though but keep the light dim if possible this way your plants will still grow properly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice