Lighting and Bettas?

MinxMermaid
hey, all yall betta experts....

since Sir Royal Blue Peacock Britton is our first Betta, we have a question about the lighting.

during the day we pretty much leave the light off and leave him in natural light, tank is near the window, but no real direct light.

in the evening we turn on his tank light, but it seems like with the light on, he catches his "reflection" in the sides of the tank more and puffs all up real big with the red gills out and all. he does this quite a bit when the light is on.

is this bad for him?

should we just leave the light on for a short time, then have him in dark most of the evening and through the night?

do you keep your betta tank lights on or off?

other than that, he seems like a real happy boy. loves food and kisses and wiggling!!

yours truely,
Rick's "neighbor"

COBettaCouple
Is the room light on when you turn his tank light on? Often a little lamp near the tank with a soft bulb will cancel out the mirror effect.

Red_Rose
HI Minx.

My betta is in a planted tank so there is a light on over his home for 10 hours a day and I find that when the days start to shorten when winter arrives, my boy will sometimes see his reflection on the glass. I just turn on my bedroom light and that tends to stop that.

If you want to put a light on on your baby's tank, then I would do that during the day and leave the evening and nighttime for sleep.

Shawnie
HI "neighbor" ;D LOL

You gotta have the light on at night to enjoy that handsome boy..so as cobettacouple said, either try to cancel his reflection with a lil night light, or sometimes it just takes him some getting use to it...

One of my tanks, I had to put decorations on one of the sides and it stopped his reflection so much...

Either way, id try to find a way to have the lights on at night to enjoy him as much as possible

Red_Rose
I'm surprised that people are suggesting to keep a light on at night for a betta tank.:-\ Bettas need a certain amount of darkness just like we do and I don't think turning a light on at night would be a good thing for him especially since they don't have eyelids. The reason I am recommending that you leave a light off at night is because when I first go my betta, I was told that it would be okay to leave his tank light on at night so I did and it eventually stressed him out to the point where he ended up with internal parasites. Once I kept it dark for him in the evening and at night, all has been well.

Bettas come from rice paddies and because of the tannins in the water, they are use to some light during the day but at night, it's dark. Also, I have heard of many people who have bettas that get very stressed out when there is a light on in their tank so the light only gets turned on when it's feeding time.

I know that bettas are beautiful and we like to admire them but it's also important to treat them like a living creature that has particular needs and one of those needs are darkness so they can rest. Your betta will appreciate it a lot more if you didn't turn on a light at night.

Shawnie
I'm surprised that people are suggesting to keep a light on at night for a betta tank.:-\ Bettas need a certain amount of darkness just like we do and I don't think turning a light on at night would be a good thing for him especially since they don't have eyelids. The reason I am recommending that you leave a light off at night is because when I first go my betta, I was told that it would be okay to leave his tank light on at night so I did and it eventually stressed him out to the point where he ended up with internal parasites. Once I kept it dark for him in the evening and at night, all has been well.

Bettas come from rice paddies and because of the tannins in the water, they are use to some light during the day but at night, it's dark. Also, I have heard of many people who have bettas that get very stressed out when there is a light on in their tank so the light only gets turned on when it's feeding time.

I know that bettas are beautiful and we like to admire them but it's also important to treat them like a living creature that has particular needs and one of those needs are darkness so they can rest. Your betta will appreciate it a lot more if you didn't turn on a light at night.

I was refferring to when we get home after sunset...not at nite when EVERY betta should be getting their beauty sleep

but after working all day, I want to see my handsome guys at night so I turn on the lights until I go to bed..or if I'm home durning the day, I turn on the lights when there isn't any sunlight

JasperII
My tanks are planted so they need some light. So I do 3 on in the morning, 3 off for his nap, then 4 on then early to bed he goes. Like a toddler. Although I'm sometimes in the room on the computer so they get to stay up alittle later. I think he can see me 'cause he watches.

hockeyref88
I was refferring to when we get home after sunset...not at nite when EVERY betta should be getting their beauty sleep

but after working all day, I want to see my handsome guys at night so I turn on the lights until I go to bed..or if I'm home durning the day, I turn on the lights when there isn't any sunlight

Yeah we only have all our aquarium lights on for 2 or 3 hours in the evening. He does seem to be adjusting just fine to me. It was just that first couple of days he was flarring at times, not a lot though. We will do whatever we have to to make the little dude happy.

Shawnie
Yeah we only have all our aquarium lights on for 2 or 3 hours in the evening. He does seem to be adjusting just fine to me. It was just that first couple of days he was flarring at times, not a lot though. We will do whatever we have to to make the little dude happy.

I think you both are doing superb!!

when I come back to life I'm coming as one of Jacq's kois or betta's or MM's fishies or chi's!! ;D

hockeyref88
I think you both are doing superb!!

when I come back to life I'm coming as one of Jacq's kois or betta's or MM's fishies or chi's!! ;D

Jacq's koi's or betta's???.....................What is Hockeyref chopped liver?

Shawnie
hahahahaahha rick!

hockeyref88
Red_Rose

Whew! That's better! The reason I said to keep the lights off at night is because I know there are some people who actually leave a light on an aquarium 24/7! That's way too much light for any fish!

Shawnie
Whew! That's better! The reason I said to keep the lights off at night is because I know there are some people who actually leave a light on an aquarium 24/7! That's way too much light for any fish!

Oh I agree...

chickadee
Well one of my buttons was pushed and I am so sorry but I have to respond. Bettas like we own do not come from nor have they ever seen or been any where near a Rice Paddy or anything like one. They have spent their entire lives in clear fresh and clean water except for the time that many of them spent in dirty water in cups in the pet stores. They were born in fish nurseries and kept in jars by breeders who had to keep them clean and changed the water daily in order to keep their fins from being deformed. The bettas that live in the Rice Paddies bear no resemblance to the long finned beauties that we see in the pet stores and on aquabid and on eBay. PLEASE do not confuse the two types of fish. Now that I have exploded all over the forum I am finished and I do apologize for getting and will now answer the question that was originally asked.

Bettas at my house get 12 hours of light from their tank lights but they do not have tanks near windows. The important thing is that they get some light and at least 10 to 14 hours of darkness a day as it is very true that they have no eyelids and in order to sleep they need darkness as do all fish. If my little guys are ready to go to sleep and I am still watching TV and they do not like the glow of the TV though they just turn their tails to the room and it is enough but I do not ever leave the tank light on and the room light off.

The really important thing about too much light is that over 12 hours of light will make a tank of algae production and you will not like that. So there is such a thing as too much light.

Rose

tzqng8
Just wanted to let everyone know that this has been an enlightening article for a new Betta owner. Thanks!

MinxMermaid
Thanks everybody for your responses. I think we're OK now, just a few hours of light on at night in the evening, then darkness for beauty sleep. (even tho Rick tells me almost every day, "sweetie, fish don't sleep").

I was more nervous about the flaring out at his reflection when the light is on in the tank, but that seems to have gotten better too. he does it a little when he goes back into one corner, but when he's up front looking at me or rick or the kitties, he's happy and wiggles alot.

thanks everyone....

guess we'll be in the market for Betta #2 & 3 soon!

glad I have the day off tomorrow!!!

ThisGuy
Glad to see Ricks better half(the neighbor) joined fishlore and you are both turning into excellent betta mom and dad. Mr.betta always flares up and rushes to the top right corner when I approach his tank, to show me how pretty he is and to tell me he would like to be feed.

hockeyref88
Thanks everybody for your responses. I think we're OK now, just a few hours of light on at night in the evening, then darkness for beauty sleep. (even tho Rick tells me almost every day, "sweetie, fish don't sleep").

I was more nervous about the flaring out at his reflection when the light is on in the tank, but that seems to have gotten better too. he does it a little when he goes back into one corner, but when he's up front looking at me or rick or the kitties, he's happy and wiggles alot.

thanks everyone....

guess we'll be in the market for Betta #2 & 3 soon!

glad I have the day off tomorrow!!!

I guess MinxMermaid has decided what we're putting in those 2 new bookshelf tanks.

Shawnie
Glad to see Ricks better half(the neighbor) joined fishlore and you are both turning into excellent betta mom and dad. Mr.betta always flares up and rushes to the top right corner when I approach his tank, to show me how pretty he is and to tell me he would like to be feed.

@ "neighbor"!

Red_Rose
Well one of my buttons was pushed and I am so sorry but I have to respond. Bettas like we own do not come from nor have they ever seen or been any where near a Rice Paddy or anything like one. They have spent their entire lives in clear fresh and clean water except for the time that many of them spent in dirty water in cups in the pet stores. They were born in fish nurseries and kept in jars by breeders who had to keep them clean and changed the water daily in order to keep their fins from being deformed. The bettas that live in the Rice Paddies bear no resemblance to the long finned beauties that we see in the pet stores and on aquabid and on eBay. PLEASE do not confuse the two types of fish. Now that I have exploded all over the forum I am finished and I do apologize for getting and will now answer the question that was originally asked.
While betta splendens have never lived in a rice paddy, if it wasn't for wild bettas being bred when they were first discovered, we would've have never ended up with the bettas that we keep as pets today. Just because they have never lived in a rice paddy or that they don't look like wild bettas, it doesn't mean that their genetics aren't alike. Wild bettas prefer slightly darker water and I know that most, if not all, pet store bettas prefer it too or else many of their owners would not add BWE or ketapang leaves to their homes. I have heard of bettas becoming quite stressed out when exposed to either a tank light or sunlight but I have yet to hear of that happening when they live in water with tannins in it.

If you had a problem with what I had said in my post, you could've taken it up with me in a private message instead of posting it here.

Shawnie
biggggggggggg 's for ALL !

Tazmiche
I only have lights on when darkish during the day.When dark and lights on I ALWAYS make sure the room is lit to try to prevent reflections for them. As soon as I get into bed their lights go out. 3 of tanks are in my bedroom so if they are still awake and I have my light on they have company. All have caves to go to bed in when ready if lights still on. Flame our longest finned boy has a house and takes himself off to bed around 8pm, has a cave also for naps!!

COBettaCouple
The pet store Splendens are pretty much different from all of the wild species of Bettas, including wild Splendens. Some Betta species, like a number of pleco species, enjoy a light level of tannins in the water.. but are happy without those tannins. Even Betta sp. MahachaI were happy without tannins in the tank water. Our Betta sp. Picta actually prefer brighter light. Generations of being bred away from the wild do change a species behavior and needs - look at the breeding of angels as another example of that.

We try to keep the lighting for our Bettas to 10-12 hours per day.

hockeyref88
The pet store Splendens are pretty much different from all of the wild species of Bettas, including wild Splendens. Some Betta species, like a number of pleco species, enjoy a light level of tannins in the water.. but are happy without those tannins. Even Betta sp. MahachaI were happy without tannins in the tank water. Our Betta sp. Picta actually prefer brighter light. Generations of being bred away from the wild do change a species behavior and needs - look at the breeding of angels as another example of that.

We try to keep the lighting for our Bettas to 10-12 hours per day.

I think I got lots to learn here about betta's...............Is there some betta college or something?

COBettaCouple
LOL. There should be, but I just learn from people like Rose & Dino, breeders, the IBC site, etc.

hockeyref88
LOL. There should be, but I just learn from people like Rose & Dino, breeders, the IBC site, etc.

I can't believe there are so many different kinds. What is the IBC site??

COBettaCouple
is their main site and is where you'll find the wilds. I may not be a fan of all of their methods, especially with breeding, but it's a good information source.

_Fried_Bettas_
Yes, any fish species that has been selectively breed for hundreds of years for living in aquariums is going to be best adapted for living in aquariums, not their ancestor's natural habitat. All domestic dogs have been selectively bred from wolves, but very few of them would survive a few days in the wild.

I have brightly lit tanks for growing plants and I have not seen any indication from any of my bettas that they are bothered in the least by bright lights. But I have read, and have seen from my own fish that the sudden instant bright light from turning on an aquarium light in a dark room is a shock to the fish, any fish. I've done that to Flash a couple times and I was leaving early in the morning and wanted to feed him and he was too disorientated to want to eat. But if the natural light or room lights come on first then it is a more gradual change.

COBettaCouple
We've had one lighting issue with our Bettas. Our fiesty red double-tail combtail HATES blue-spectrum FL tubes and plays sick if he has that lighting. He wants yellow-spectrum light. Otherwise our Bettas have been happy with their lighting.

hockeyref88
is their main site and is where you'll find the wilds. I may not be a fan of all of their methods, especially with breeding, but it's a good information source.

Thanks Dave.................looks like I've got some reading to do.

Rick

chickadee
I will also say that blue tubes do promote algae growth in a way that the other colors do not. Actinic blue is horrible to promote algae and I just got rid of a small light that was 50/50 Actinic Blue and caused a big algae problem.

Rose

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishLover2393
Replies
Views
Guyfromthenorth
Top Bottom