Lighting advice?

1. thedrunkingpig Member Member

first i want to thank everyone that has given advice and responded to my previous questions. without your help i doubt i would have my tank now. so thank you all, your advice is greatly appreciated.

what lighting should i have? i have 2 normal flourescent bulbs and they seem to be doing well. the tank is shallow, only 35cm high. i have a few zoa's and mushrooms (freebies) but im looking at bubble coral and others, but want to make sure i have appropriate lighting.

2. ATP Well Known Member Member

How long and what size is the tank?

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. :animal0068:I've moved your thread to the Salt Water Aquarium Lighting section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken:cold:

4. sgould Well Known Member Member

For most corals, standard flourescent lighting is going to be inadequate. You can open up some opportunities with an upgrade to power compacts, given your shallow tank. For greatest flexibility, I would look into T5s, which ought to be sufficient for just about anything in that depth.

5. thedrunkingpig Member Member

the tank dimensions are:
    h: 35
    L: 50
    w: 35

or there abouts.

how many bulbs would i need? should i get a mixture of blue and white bulbs? 1 of each? 2/1 mix?

cheers!

6. sgould Well Known Member Member

I would recommend a combination of daylight/actinic bulbs. If you can find a 2/2 that would be great, but with your tank size the options may be limited.