Lighting advice needed, NPT 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by backflipfronflip, Dec 25, 2012.

1. b

backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

I have a dirted 40g Breeder that is pretty low tech right now. It has my old light from my 20g on it with a makeshift light holder. No ferts and pretty heavily planted with various Crypts and a couple unidentified plant species.

My wife got me a new light fitting that is the correct size for the tank and it holds two bulbs, one is a T5HO 39W Flora Sun 5,000k lamp and the other bulb is T5HO 39W 6,500 Ultra sun bulb.

I would prefer not to have to run CO2 in the tank, is this lighting going to be so high that i will need to run CO2? Could i run just one of the bulbs and keep the tank as pretty low tech?

Advice would be appreciated.

2. Siggi

Siggi Well Known Member Member

Use of CO2 is never compulsory. If used it gives the plants the opportunity to adsorb more carbon into their live tissues, if not used the plants will use the available CO2 dissolved in the water (as well as other carbon sources) to make more plant/cellulose.
    So if the light is intense it may not all be used by photosysnthetic process to build more plant volume, simply because no more carbon is available for the plants to grow faster...

3. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

The problem is a high light / low co2 situation is heaven for algae growth. This may or may not be an issue with this particular setup but time will tell.

4. OP
    OP
    b

I have plugged it all in and it is up and running, WOW what a visual difference!

I am going to sit by and see what happens, if i get an algae explosion then maybe i will adjust what i am doing. The Ottos would not complain about some extra algae to eat i am sure.

5. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

The more light you have the faster the plants grow therefore CO2 and fertlizers become more of a demand to keep plants healthy and outcompete algae.

Anyone of these things (light, CO2 and fertz) that is not balanced with each other is a recipe for algae for a highlight tank. You can try and if you notice any slowed growth or algae then you need to either add CO2 and fertlizers or raise the fixture up.

I'd make sure the fixture will run with just one bulb. I know some don't.

Green Spot Algae on glass will be an indication of too much light. Otos won't help as its a hard algae and needs to be scraped off. Otos do not eat all types of algae either.

6. OP
    OP
    b

It does have the option to turn off one of the bulbs so i will explore that if needed.

So i am right in thinking that this is now a high lighted tank with both bulbs running? What if i just ran one of them?

This is now 2W per Gallon, with both bulbs running, 1W per Gallon if there is only 1 bulb running. That would be more of a medium lighting tank?

7. jetajockey

8. OP
    OP
    b

Hm ok. Much of that information is a bit above my head. I will give these bulbs a run and see what happens i guess.

9. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I had dual t5 ho on my 55 and alge started popping up. Co2 is really a must

10. A

Running just one bulb is enough for what you want. It would be more then your current lighting.

Oh, congratz on the new fixture! :)

11. OP
    OP
    b

That is what i am thinking. I can run one of the bulbs, i can even alternate which bulb i run to see if there is an impact, although the one bulb has a blueish color to it. I think that is the one that is primarily designed for the plants, must be the spectrum of light that causes this color.

12. Siggi

Siggi Well Known Member Member

What about BN-plecos? Or Shrimp. Do they eat Green Spot Algae?

13. jetajockey

BN's will rasp at it a bit but usually the only way to get rid of it is a good scrub.

14. A

Nerite Snails.

Or Magfloat or some sort of a scrapper like a credit card. :)

15. OP
    OP
    b

Thanks for the advice. One nerite snail in the tank already but doubt that he will manage all the algae on his own. We will see what happens with one bulb running over the next couple of weeks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice