Lighter Green Plants

1. wildatheart Member Member

Have a 30 gal community that seems to be lagging on growth of plants.
    I think the problem is minerals.

Was adding ADA "brighty k" which is potassium
    And some ADA "iron" additive

But I stopped because the plants didn't seem to be benefitting but beard algae did grow more

Now I've switched things up.
    I have a yeast canister CO2 with a bubble ladder, took away aeration, and have stopped ferts for now

The plants are in ADA Amazonia soil

Should that provide all the minerals they need??

What's a good trace fert I could try?

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406687944.589114.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. atc84 Well Known Member Member

did you see an increase in growth after adding the CO2? I personally don'd add fertilizers to my tanks because i don't think it's needed. Unless you see an actual deficiency in the plants, such as yellowing leaves, or maybe blackening leaves, then you need to find out what mineral you are missing.

Depending on how long the plants have been in the soil, which should be releasing plenty of nutrients for the plants for probably a year or two. Along with the soil, your fish should be adding nitrogen to the aquarium from their waste unless you have a giant sponge filter soaking up the waste.

i see the black beard algae on the plants, which is a cause in a change in the balance of the nutrients from the added fertilizers. If the plants arent growing very fast at all, then the lighting might be the limiting factor. If the plants grew fast at first, now they aren't growing much anymore, then i would check your nitrates if you have a test kit. a lack of nitrates (a component of nitrogen) keeps the plants from growing well since nitrogen is a key part in growth, along with carbon hydrogen and oxygen. What filter do you have?

Your tank looks really nice, and welcome to fishlore!

3. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Ive Got ADA Amazonia in my 15g as well and ive found it works great for root feeders. my sword puts out a new leaf every 2 or 3 days since ive upped my lighting and the weird chinese carpeting plant has taken of as well.

However my plants that take in nutrients from the water column didnt do as well until I added a generic broad range fert.

I would check your lighting and try a fert that contains all your macro nutrients and work from there.

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

The ferts and CO2 will only be so effective without the right light. As with most all plants, the light source is what cues the plants to photosynthesize and grow. Obviously they need a source of carbon and ferts to do so, but without the right lights, all the ferts and CO2 in the world would just be wasted. :)

5. wildatheart Member Member

Great advice!!

Yeah so since I added the CO2 reactor and stopped aeration the plants have started to grow much faster!

My nitrates were zero which I think combined with the lack of CO2 due to aeration and the ferts I was adding sort of made for an algae fest without helping the plants much.

I don't know why the nitrates were so low but I guess I can only assume the plants were using it all up and fish were not making enough.

My filter is a Fluval 304 which is rated for a larger tank (70?) but I'm a big fan of over filtration. My tank is only 30

Maybe I need to rethink that?

Anyway where I'm at now is that I added some Nitrogen (seachem I think, from a bottle) and I also added some seachem flourish.

My drop checker I just got is yellow-green indicating high-ish Co2 but like I said there's about 1/4 of the surface of the water that's swirly from the filter nozzle flow for gas exchange.

I'm encouraged for now and the fish all seem to be actually enjoying the new setup. They're visibly more relaxed and are fascinated with the bubbles in the bubble ladder.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406860725.364905.jpg

Most of this growth in the photo is from the past week!!!

The swords are slower coming along but I see darker healthier leaves already in the middle ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406860799.466465.jpg

There's remnants of beard algae

Should I try to wipe it out entirely by cutting??

There's some stem plants where it's all over the stem...

6. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Unless your plants beginning melting, withering, or yellowing, I wouldn't worry too much about your filtration removing too much nitrogen. Actually, it will be your water changes that remove the majority of the nitrogen. Lack of nitrogen isn't super common, at least not in a well stocked tank. :)

7. atc84 Well Known Member Member

Looks great, you're taking really good care of your tank!

Your tank probably isn't planted enough to cause a lack of nitrogen, but it's possible. Your filter probably is taking up a lot of the fish waste, so what i recommend is to....

overstock your tank. It sounds bad but in reality you way your aquarium is set up it could use some more fish.

As far as the plants with black beard algae, it is basically impossible to get off without killing the plant. What you can do is use seachem excel and directly apply it to spots with black beard algae, which will turn it white and die off.

8. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Yup, lots of folks use the method atc84 described when treating bba. IME, bba is usually the result of imbalances between light, ferts, and CO2. Adjusting the imbalance will really help a lot. Happens to us all though.

9. atc84 Well Known Member Member

I only get bba in large tuffs on some of my valls that are almost to the surface which would give them Co2 from the atmosphere to help prevent algae, and on my filtration that's right under my light. Everything else is algae free in my tank because of a good balance i have, and i have very minimal filtration, just water movement.

10. wildatheart Member Member

Yeah I'm adding nitrogen but I like the "overstocking" idea lol.. Always looking to buy new fish and have to stop myself

What is your guys opinion on this stocking profile for the tall 30 pictured... All the fish are one inch or less
    6 neon tetras
    5 harlequin rasboras
    7 cherry barbs
    2 pea puffers
    1 Chinese algae eater (2in)
    5-6 Amano shrimp
    1 (wild caught) Sacramento Sucker (fry)
    (Who loves captive life btw lol)

I had 2x 1.5 inch Flagfish (a type of killie) in there too to chomp on the beard algae but I took them out and gave them their own 10 gal with a few mosquito fish.

Do you guys think it's too many fish??

I don't go by the 1 inch per gallon rule but I do feel like once you get there it's pushing the limits

11. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Those pea puffers are carnivorous and will make a snack out of your amanos. The Chinese algae eater also has a reputation of sucking the sides off of other fish.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. wildatheart Member Member

I actually just noticed the algae eater starting to be more aggressive. He's getting to the size where he can threaten the others so I'm probably gonna move him to the tank with my largemouth bass fry in it. He is only slightly larger than the 2x 1.5 inch baby bass and I doubt he would be belligerent enough to pick a fight with a largemouth. I used to have a Chinese algae eater in with my green sunfish and they stayed away from each other.

Good to know about the puffers.
    That's a tricky one because I like them in that tank... And I like the shrimp too.

The puffers are smaller than the shrimp, does that matter?

Will they go after fish too?

They stay well fed, does that matter?

Might ask in the fish forum.

Thanks for the 411 tho

13. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

From what I understand, Pea Puffers usually avoid fights with other fish, but don't mind if their food source is a little bigger than them. Even if they are well fed, the day will come when they are cruising around and want to take a piece out of an amano. :(