Lighted Hood Falls into tank?

lvlacic

Hi,

2 questions:

What would happen if my lighted hood is on and it accidently falls into the tank? Would one be electricuted if you reach into tank to retrieve it?
I understand a GFCI outlet (the ones used near water in kitchens and bathrooms), should be used to power your tank lights. Am I right?

Thanks.

otterblue

I don't know the answer, but you just described my nightmare. One of my cats regularly sits atop the aquarium hood. If there's one thing I see clearly in my future, it's giving a cat CPR.

Turnkeyagenda24

"a little bit of prevention is worth alot of fixing"

StarGirl

What kind of lighted hood do you have?

My LED lids always have water on them. I think they water proof them pretty well now a days. They are not made to be in the water but I think a quick dip isn't going to electrocute you. Could be wrong though....;)

I think the dropping the light in the tank fear was more for the old fluorescent open ended fixtures. The LEDs are different for sure.

BigManAquatics

Either way, if it does fall in the tank, have the decency to turn off the switch and unplug it before grabbing.

otterblue

Either way, if it does fall in the tank, have the decency to turn off the switch and unplug it before grabbing.
Or maybe your fuse box.

lvlacic

Yes I agree, but the natural tendency is to reach in to grab it as its falling in ...

newbietetra

i was just thinking same thing. i asked the lady at the fish shop about light falling into water. And she was surprised, like that it never occur to her that can happen.

We have UK electric standard here. And i not seen any gfci here,in this part of the world.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
aquachris
  • Question
Replies
Views
Laura306
Replies
Views
Stoka