light whiteness to the water 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by fishaddiction, Dec 22, 2012.

1. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I have a 20 gallon tall and today it has a whiteness it isn't dense but it isn't nice looking either I did a water change yesterday (50%) but it just today started to look whitish. My ammonia was at 2 and my nitrites are at 0 yesterday I used prime with the water change and I'm also putting beneficial bacteria plus ammo lock. What should I do?

2. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

Are you doing a fish in or fishless cycle? The tank WILL look cloudy before the bacteria is established, it's part of the cycling process.

3. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

I need some more info on the tank. How long has it been setup? Does it contain LS? What is the Temperature reading? When you say "whiteness" do you mean cloudy looking? Have you had trouble with Ammonia in the past?

4. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

The tank has been setup since April the temp. Is 76 degrees. When I say whiteness I mean cloudy but white cloudy and I have been struggling with ammonia before. Also what's LS?

5. Reefdweller

LS is live stock. What kind of live stock do you have in the tank? You do water changes pretty much on a regular basis I assume right? I know I read about how much you feed them so that shouldnt be it. Any additives at all that you add to your water besides prime?

6. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

I have 2 juvenile jewel cichlids (relocating 1 in 3 days) 2 bumblebee. gobies, 1 pleco (2 in.) 1 spiny eel possible relocation. I put beneficial bacteria and ammo lock

7. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

The ammo lock probably basically ruined your bacteria culture. Those bacteria must be able to consume ammonia to survive. You may also have used the wrong bacteria.
    Try this:
    Change 75% of the water, using Prime
    Wait 24 hours
    Dump an entire well-shaken appropriately-sized bottle of Tetra SafeStart in (do not bother with other brands - and if in doubt on size, more bacteria is better than less)
    Wait 14 days. No water changes, no water conditioner, NO AMMO LOCK. Just feed lightly.
    That should get your bacteria on the right track.

Know that that pleco is quickly going to outgrow your tank if it is a common pleco.

8. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

This is not necessarily accurate. Ammo lock should leave the ammonia in a form that is consumable by bacteria but not harmful to fish. It will also show up on ammonia tests. Ammo-lock has been proven affective at detoxifying ammonia for fish but still leaving it consumable by bacteria.

9. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Ah...ok. Maybe I'm thinking of a different product. Sorry.
    That said, you must still not use it during the 14 days, and after the 14 days you should no longer need it. If you do, you've got problems :/

10. Reefdweller

I am not so sure its the ammo lock that caused the issue. What I have always done in the past to get rid of ammonia is syphoning the tank substrate real good removing any decaying food/. I have done a good water change 75%, rinsed all of my media good. Making sure the fresh incoming water from the water changed matched in temperature. (very very important) Then I would lay the oxygen to it - by this I mean placing a powerhead in the tank (Marineland is my choice) simply because they are powerful, affordable and they have the hose fitting with them so that you can etiher have no air bubbles or tons. I have a 1400 in my 75 gallon now and although I have never had any ammonia issues I still turn the bubbles on at times. My fish literally play in the bubbles plus I like the look of the action in the tank. You can pick up Marineland powerheads on amazon at very fair pricing. I would also check my temperature 3 times then check it over and over to make sure it was right. If you use a glass heater they are not always the most reliable. This is where I plug another product. Hydor inline heater. Pricey? for sure.... but they are worth it. I have one on the 75 inline on my return from the sump and what I set it on it stays on hands down no worries. I am very impressed with this product. So as you can see I have used more of a natural way to rid ammonia in the past with adding little to no additives. Once the ammonia is gone... feed lightly and keep a eye on it going forward.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice