Light Vs Direct Sunlight? Question

1. KevInLA Member Member

Hi everyone, so I'm trying to decide if I can put a second tank near my dining room window. Since I've never tried it before, I'm trying to figure out if there's a difference between light coming in from outside opposed to DIRECT sunlight. The location doesn't appear to have any direct sunlight going into the potential tank location, but obviously light would come in if the shades are open. Can anyone give me some general insight on this please? Thanks.

2. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Direct sunlight causes a lot more algae to grow, so if you did a tank like this (and I think you should) you could do a nano tank with a bunch of shrimp (amano shrimp, ghost shrimp, red cherry shrimp etc.). Ghost shrimp larvae would thrive in this environment, usually they die in people's tanks due to lack of infusoria.
    What size tank do you want?

3. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I've had a glass-topped aquarium on a north facing windowsill for a ten year period with no artificial light. It worked well for the fish and Java Ferns which were abundant on natural branches that I collected from local lakes.

There was a background which screened much of the light. However, light could enter freely into the top of the aquarium.

I would say direct sunlight is generally to be avoided as it is too strong.

However, my Neon Tetra aquarium receives direct sunlight in the early morning only and it lights up the fish superbly so in this application it is ideal. In my view Neon Tetras must be viewed in sunlight as they are designed to reflect it and then they look amazing, brighter than the brightest jewels.

Direct sunlight may make controlling algae, both attached and suspended (green water) types, difficult. It may also make controlling temperature difficult.

4. Lana1049 Member Member

I'm pretty sure having direct sunlight will cause a major increase in algae growth, especially if its facing the sun for a lot of the day. Also, I personally would prefer having a tank light to keep the fish on a good schedule for when the days get shorter, because fish need to have a day/night cycle, like humans do.

5. KevInLA Member Member

Yea that was my main reason for asking, the algae issue. After looking at the area for most of the morning and early daytime (I'm in California) it looks as if there's really not much direct sunlight at all. It just shines a very tiny bit on less than a quarter of the tank for about half hour. Would light in general coming through a window last much of an issue? At this point I funny feel the need to worry much about direct sunlight...Thanks for replying!

6. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I think this little bit of direct sunlight is negligible.
    Worst case, you get some green spot algae on the glass which you can scrape off easily. With lots of fast growing plants and floating plants, algae shouldn't be an issue.

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with Piaelliott.

8. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I have a 60G that gets a little direct sunlight very briefly each day. No algae problems, but even another 20 minutes could be bad news. It's helpful if the source can be controlled somewhat with window coverings such as adjustable blinds as the lighting will obviously change in both intensity and duration through the seasons.