Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
On then off then on then off....lol
the best is to have come on when your home for the day and let them run 6 - 8 hours
for fake plants and 8 -12 if you have real plants.
Some people say you can turn them on for a hours or so in the morning so you can feed then off then back on when you return home with no ill effect on the fish. I have been told on a planted tank you can (should) turn the lights off in the middle of the light cycle for about 2 hours to rest the plants .....JMHO

Last edited:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A broken light cycle is the way to go. It's not to rest the plants though, it's to help stop algae forming & fight overheating issues during summer. I run my lights on all my tanks 8am on, noon off, 5pm on, 9pm off for the night. That can be modified to suit your own individual needs but keep a 3-6hr break during the hottest part of the day. The bonus is that your lights are on for longer during the hours your more likely to be home.

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow , I hadn't thought about that. I got a timer with my light set up but haven't installed it yet.

So far I have been turning the light on in the morning , about 6 am and out at night about 10pm. I am currently cycling my tank but do have live plants. Guess I should read up on the on off thing...lol.

Good question, cuz I had no clue there was an on, off cycle ppl used.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not everyone uses the sort of light cycle I do but it is catching on. You can use a continuous light cycle if you want but you should limit it to a maximum of 12hrs light on with live plants. I can't run my lights right through the day because it gets really hot here in summer but I would still do a broken cycle to help slow or stop algae growth even if I lived somewhere cooler.

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use a timer on at 2 p.m. and off at 11 p.m. (I'm up late ) for my planted tank and I also use a power-glo light and I have absolutely no algae problems. I rarely have to clean the glass, my 2 bristlenoses do a good job in combination with the lighting

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have my lights on timers too and I do the same as Nutter. (with a little time difference though). I have my lights on from 7am until 11am. They are off from 11am until 3pm. Back on from 3pm until 10pm. This is for my 265g, fake plants. I like the lights off during the hottest parts of the day. Generic lighting, 70 watts.

Ken

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
thanks for this thread - I too had no idea that a disrupted cycle was a good idea!
I've been having some hair algae issues in my 23G, so hopefully this new lighting method should help.

Great question chunkdaddy!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I use 8hrs light on planted tanks. There's rarely a need for more though you can have longer hours if there isn't lots of algae growth. My main planted tank has near enough 200w of T8 lighting & DIY co2. 8hrs is enough even for my high demand plants.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think it has mentioned yet in this thread but having a set routine is great for the fish also, they are very routine oriented, and having the lights on/off at the same time every single day is something they will expect (lowered stress from flicking the lights off at night specifically).

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think it has mentioned yet in this thread but having a set routine is great for the fish also, they are very routine oriented, and having the lights on/off at the same time every single day is something they will expect (lowered stress from flicking the lights off at night specifically).
Good point. That's the exact reason why I use light timers on every single tank I have wether it's planted or not. I also stage my lights so that they come on sequentially (dim light to bright & then bright to dim before off) to lessen the shock even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.3%

Top Bottom