Light Timer

Miaw

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a light timer now for 2 planted tanks.

At the moment they are set to come on 6am-10am then 5pm-11pm

That's 10 hours.

I read that 12 hours might be okay too but I'm afraid of algae.

Would 5pm-1am be okay or is that way too long?

Maybe I can go 7am-10am 5.30pm-1am? Maybe 12am instead?

Thoughts?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would actually suggest cutting back. Unless its a weak light, having the photoperiod longer than 8 hours can cause algae breakouts - or a general correlation of tanks of 8hr+ photoperiods seem to have algae problems.

ljm0104

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depending on what fertilizers you are dosing that may be good. I have a couple low maintenance tanks that I haven't upgraded the lighting yet that run for twelve hours then tanks with more lighting and Co2 that run from 8-12 hours a day. Sometimes it takes playing around and seeing exactly what happens with the nitrates, fish load, exactly what plants, etc..... Is there a particular reason you have two light cycles going instead of one continuous daytime and nighttime setting?

Miaw

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like to feed and dose liquid carbon in the morning and I feed in the evening and spend a lot of time watching the fish. I am at work during the day so if i have the light in all day I can't have it on late after I come home.

If I don't have a morning period I won't get much time for carbon to at least start getting used up after dosing.

Plus I like watching my tanks in the morning too. Nice and relaxing before heading to the grindstone

ljm0104

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That makes sense. Since you are dosing carbon and depending on how your tank reacts I would personally start at 8 hours and then adjust from there depending on alage growth. I have a ton of plants so I tend to not get algae growth often though I've had blooms occasionally.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hold on there. What liquid carbon? I haven't heard of any that are truly effective. If you've found one I'd like to know it. Otherwise, it's not even on the same planet as actual co2 injection so you may wind up with an algae problem from too much lighting.

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So current thoughts on excel type products is they keep algae at bay more then add usable carbon, therefore giving the edge to plants (no algae=no competition for food=healthier plants)
When going with this theory, it’s best to dose excel at lights out as it is photosensitive.

When doing a split photo period, two 4 hr blocks don’t add up to 8 hrs of light.... they are two four hour blocks in the same day only, very different then 8 hours of continuous light.
If you wish to make one longer, I would go 430-11 vs 530 to 12... better a longer complete darkness. As long as the mid day siesta break is 4/5hrs the split period would be fine.

Overall I’m not a fan of siestas, plant growth is better with continual vs broken exposure (ramp up and ramp down periods for growth). That is not to say siestas don’t have their place...

Last think... if you are up from 630am to 1am..
Get more rest yourself makes me tired just reading it

Miaw

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh I'm up more like 8-12 but it can vary if I get up early or late

I'm using Easy Life Easy Carbo as liquid carbon daily.

Also using profito, ferro, and kalium-potassium once a week.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom