Light Timer

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ASHLEY R COOK, Apr 15, 2018.

1. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

I was wondering if I need one. The tank is in my room so I won't forgot to turn it off. In the mornings I'd want to see my fish before work and I leave around 9am. Then I'd like to watch them after I put my son to bed which is around 9 or 930pm.
    1. Does the light need to be continuous throughout the day?
    2. How many hours? 12 or more is too much isn't it?
    3. Should I get a timer so I turns on after I leave work and then I can watch them after he goes to bed?
    My toddler is a handful so I won't get to enjoy the tank too much while he is up.

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I have a timer for both my tanks. They turn on around 430 and ends at 1130. I think 12 hours is a bit much. 6-8 hours seems to be the normal time.

You can set the timer to turn on when your up and set it when your gone and it can come back on when you get home.

Very simple to use. As you can see with this timer I have in my house the buttons are up when I want it off. The up buttons are when it’s on. Some are different. So read the instructions.

Image1523806079.703571.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I usually allow my fish with 10 - 12 hours of daylight, and the rest is night.

You can leave the light on all day, there are no disadvantages to it.
    I would stick to half and a half for the day/night cycle, to give the fish the correct timing.
    Timers work fine, so I don't see why not.

4. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Like Fashooga, I have a couple of tanks the come on when I get up, turn off 3 hours later and come back on for 6 hours in the evening. These are ones I have had algae problems with in the past. I have others that stay on 14-15 hours.

5. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

So is it ok to have on and off and on again breaks? It doesn't mess with the fish?

6. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

Do you have plants?

7. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

Nope. Just fake ones ;p

8. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

Then you whatever you do with the light shouldn't matter. My tank (no live plants) gets daylight whenever my blinds are open. This can be 7am if its a week day, or noon if its a weekend to whenever the sunsets (and I live in Canada so that ranges greatly). If I'm in my room sometimes I'll turn their light on during that time too, because it makes the tank look nicer. And then at night the light is on whenever I want to look at them. I've been varying it like this for 10 years, and they are all fine. And I never leave the light on when I'm not there, because I've had algae issues in the past.
    If you are trying to breed it might matter though.

9. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Too much light will cause algae to grow. You should have about 6-8 hrs a day. You can turn it on for 3hr in the morning and then 3-6hrs in the evening.

I'm a big fan of smart plugs. They're not much more than mechanical timers and you can set the schedule to turn on/off as many times as you want. There are many different ones on Amazon and usually around $10 ea. You download an app on your phone (SmartLife) and can control them from anywhere. You can also connect them with Google Home or Amazon Echo for voice control.

10. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

Thx so much everyone for the feedback

11. Fanatic

I just realized that by this thread, it told me that I need to upgrade my timer.
    I've still got one from 2004, man.

12. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

That's ancient. Lol

13. Fanatic

Yeah, it really is.
    It doesn't even have the third prong on it, making it hard when you have a light that has one.

14. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice