Light Needed For 20 Gallon High Planted Tank

1. josher Initiate Member

Hello - new to the site!

I'm moving soon and thinking about upgrading my 20g high planted tank in the process. Although I've had tanks my whole life, I just started getting into the planted tank scene. I've been doing research and I'm thinking about going with soil under gravel for substrate and a DIY CO2 generator (good idea?). The thing I'm having the most issues deciding on is lighting as I think I want to be around the medium light range (again I'm new to this, good idea?) because I like more colorful plants and love the way planet carpets look on the aquarium floor. I read a few other posts and it looks like the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 is a good option. My problem is the whole WPG thing is a little confusing so I'm wondering if anyone has advice on the best light for what I'm planning here. Any thoughts would go along way here!

thank you.

2. vin Well Known Member Member

Hey there and welcome! I have a 20g tall planted tank and don't bother with cO2. Never even bothered with soil under the pea gravel substrate either, but I realize that for some plants it's recommended.. My plants thrive on the nitrates in the tank alone with an occasional 1/2 dose of root tabs every 4-6 months if I remember.... Now, granted I'm not growing anything too difficult either, so keep that in mind in my case. But I've had plants get so large I've split them and transplanted and given clippings to other fish keepers for their tanks. My lighting is old school 5300K 17 w/T5 Fluorescent. 10hrs/day. 5300k is considered midday sunlight. Your lighting requirements will also depend upon what you wish to plant and grow.

3. josher Initiate Member

What brand is your light? Is it in a hood?

4. vin Well Known Member Member

Cheap Aqueon hood. LOL!