Light Is Broken. How Long Do I Have? Question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by thatoneguy99, May 20, 2019.

1. thatoneguy99 Valued Member Member

So I have an 8 gallon tall hex tank for my betta. Yesterday the light somehow burnt out. It was just a simple LED strip. Luckily nothing else happened. It looks like some moisture got into the light and then a teeny tiny burn happened on the light strip and it went kaput.

I am not a super fan of this tall tank anyways and I have a spare 10 gallon. I am thinking about switching the betta over to this tank.

My question is how long do I have before this becomes an issue? It is a gravel substrate with some java fern, a marimo moss ball, and an anubius afzeli. Thank you for your advice and help.

2. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

How much natural light does the tank get?

3. thatoneguy99 Valued Member Member

Not that much. Its in a somewhat darker area of my living room. The lid tends to shade the light that does come from up above.

4. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm assuming you're worried about the plants? I would say 4 days tops before they have issues

5. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

as a temporary fix you can grab a cheap clip on light to keep your usual day night schedule. I agree with upping your betta to a 10 that way you can get a light for the tank he is currently in and get another betta!! ;)

6. thatoneguy99 Valued Member Member

Not too worried about the plants. I think I should have made that more clear. I mean I like my plants but this tank isn't heavily planted so it wont be the end of the world if they all go away.
    Im more worried about the fish.

7. thatoneguy99 Valued Member Member

I will not be getting another tank. :) Maybe in my next house I can have a whole room dedicated to my fishies. For now though I will stick to my one betta and my 40breeder. That 40B is enough work as it is.

8. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

The fish don't seem to care too much as long as they have an idea of the light cycle really, as long as it's not pitch dark 24/7 your betta should be fine.

9. thatoneguy99 Valued Member Member

Thank you!

10. bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Ya the light is more for the fish keeper than the fish themselves. (Or for plants of course)

As long as they can see enough to find and eat their food they are fine.

11. thatoneguy99 Valued Member Member

Thank you for all of the information. It was much appreciated. I switched the betta over to the 10 gallon today. Hopefully everything goes fine.

12. Elkwatcher Valued Member Member

Looking good! :)