Question Light for Endler, guppy, and guppy-Endler hybrid fry?

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Fishlore,

I was just wondering how many hours of light that Endler, guppy, and guppy-Endler hybrid fry need? I’ve heard verydifferent answers so figured I’d ask here.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Finatic005 said:
Hello Fishlore,

I was just wondering how many hours of light that Endler, guppy, and guppy-Endler hybrid fry need? I’ve heard verydifferent answers so figured I’d ask here.
I would say at least eight, but 10 or maybe even 12 could be better. I"m sure you already know this, but the light is so that the fish's spine can develop correctly. The only issue you might run into is algae growth.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bgntoc said:
I would say at least eight, but 10 or maybe even 12 could be better. I"m sure you already know this, but the light is so that the fish's spine can develop correctly. The only issue you might run into is algae growth.
Yep, I have my lights on 12 hrs anyway. I do have a small algae problem due to this but it's manageable. I heard that 15-17 hrs was best but that seemed over-the-top...

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Finatic005 said:
Yep, I have my lights on 12 hrs anyway. I do have a small algae problem due to this but it's manageable. I heard that 15-17 hrs was best but that seemed over-the-top...
15-17 does seem over the top to me too. In fact, I think its harmful for them(to have that much light) since it doesn't really give them time to relax and sleep. As long as you have enough nutritioon/good food for the guppies their spine should develop fine. Like 15-17 hours is just kinda a waste of energy lol. The guppy fry should do well with 12 hours of light. By the way, congrats on the fry :)

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bgntoc said:
15-17 does seem over the top to me too. In fact, I think its harmful for them(to have that much light) since it doesn't really give them time to relax and sleep. As long as you have enough nutritioon/good food for the guppies their spine should develop fine. Like 15-17 hours is just kinda a waste of energy lol. The guppy fry should do well with 12 hours of light. By the way, congrats on the fry :)
Yes, 17 is way too much. I’ll be feeding them baby brine and Walter worms. I’ll keep the lighting schedule the same then. And thanks but I haven’t even purchased guppies/endlers yet... lol. I like to do my research early haha. Thanks!

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Finatic005 said:
Yes, 17 is way too much. I’ll be feeding them baby brine and Walter worms. I’ll keep the lighting schedule the same then. And thanks but I haven’t even purchased guppies/endlers yet... lol. I like to do my research early haha. Thanks!
Oh I thought you already had the fry haha. Fish go crazy for brine shrimp(well, most fish). Yay research! That's awesome since no research often leads to abused animals or losing lots of money. I hope your fish will do well(they probably will lol, you seem like a really good owner :))!

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bgntoc said:
Oh I thought you already had the fry haha. Fish go crazy for brine shrimp(well, most fish). Yay research! that's awesome since no research often leads to abused animals or losing lots of money. I hope your fish will do well(they probably will lol, you seem like a really good owner :))!
Yep I want to feed them brine for higher protein and Walter worms when they get larger. Research is always the best way to go, and thanks! I try my best to be a good owner although it’s hard sometimes lol.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I breed guppies, endlers and hybrids for many years now. Overhere, they're getting a lot less light than mentioned overhere and they grow up without any problems.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
emeraldking said:
I breed guppies, endlers and hybrids for many years now. Overhere, they're getting a lot less light than mentioned overhere and they grow up without any problems.
Maybe you have a brighter light or something of that nature?

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finatic005 said:
Maybe you have a brighter light or something of that nature?
Nope, just simple and cheap led lights. Works perfectly.
The lights will be switched on when evening starts and will be switched off before I go to bed. It's just past 6.30 p.m. overhere and with the daylicht saving time (summertime 1 hour ahead now), all the lights are still switched off. All the fry do grow up nicely in all of my tanks.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
emeraldking said:
Nope, just simple and cheap led lights. Works perfectly.
The lights will be switched on when evening starts and will be switched off before I go to bed. It's just past 6.30 p.m. overhere and with the daylicht saving time (summertime 1 hour ahead now), all the lights are still switched off. All the fry do grow up nicely in all of my tanks.
I think people say more light just in case, since a lot of people's guppies have bent spines when they didn't have enough light(of course there could be other causes). Of course, not all "rules" in the aquarium hobby are necessary, so it makes pretty good sense. Another factor is genetics, including the diet their on. You are probably really experienced, so you are probably correct :). Maybe others just had other factors that affected the spine development, idk.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good genetics and a variety in food is much more important than light for a good development. Don't miss out on the fact that a lot of commercial guppies offered at an lfs are weaker in bloodline. But of course, a bent spine can be developed by multiple reasons.
DSCF2843a.jpg
And even in the wild there are suffcient areas where they even live in dark water. With a real lack of light. So, not all guppies in the wild do live in clear water or even with a lot of daylight. And they do well in there. I even keep a wild strain from an area in Surinam. They did well but didn't want to breed for over 6 months. I've put them in the dark after that and they started reproducing after a while. Then I realized that these came from dark water. Fry developed perfectly in there.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
emeraldking said:
Good genetics and a variety in food is much more important than light for a good development. Don't miss out on the fact that a lot of commercial guppies offered at an lfs are weaker in bloodline. But of course, a bent spine can be developed by multiple reasons.
DSCF2843a.jpg
And even in the wild there are suffcient areas where they even live in dark water. With a real lack of light. So, not all guppies in the wild do live in clear water or even with a lot of daylight. And they do well in there. I even keep a wild strain from an area in Surinam. They did well but didn't want to breed for over 6 months. I've put them in the dark after that and they started reproducing after a while. Then I realized that these came from dark water. Fry developed perfectly in there.
Interesting to know. Thanks!

New Threads