Light For Betta Tank - Will This Work? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Little John, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Little John

Little John Valued Member Member

will this work for lighting a tank? also, will it hurt my betta's eyes? WIN_20180412_20_28_15_Pro.jpg

2. Billy T

Billy T Valued Member Member

Not sure about the lighting but they are natural jumpers. If you don’t have a lid just don’t fill you’re water too high

3. OP
    OP
    Little John

Is it too high?

4. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

If the tank is in a room with a window, the natural day light is enough for the fish. Additionally lighting is only for our viewing benefit (unless you have live plants of course). So if youre happy with the lighting, then it works!

5. Billy T

I’m not quite sure, I’ve only had one that is a baby girl. I’ve had her a month and she can jump around a half inch and snag food off my finger. Now she’s never jumped unless I’ve stuck my finger over the water but I’ve seen some say they’re Betta has jumped out when they forgot to put they’re lid on

6. OP
    OP
    Little John

I can't find lids at my local fish store. also, he would need to jump 2.5 inches.

7. DaleM

DaleM Well Known Member Member

Just get some cheap mesh from a hardware store and cut to size, that's what I use over my 35g in order to keep the tank cool and stop the odd rogue fish jumping (although none of my fish are known jumpers)

8. Billy T

It may be ok but you could prolly get a rubbermaid or sterolite lid and put over the top. Cut out a little square hole with a razor blade or poke some holes in it. I’m not an expert on that but seems like it would do the trick

9. OP
    OP
    Little John

Thanks, I will probably do that.:)

10. Fieryskys

Fieryskys Valued Member Member

The light will work fine if you don't have live plants (or specifically plant that need bright light).. however I would say get a lid or try to cover with something. My betta jumps often when she's excited or startled and easily jumps more than 3 inches out of the water. I bough a thin plexiglass sheet from Home Depot and fitted it to the tank by making a wooden box the same dimensions as my tank, heating the plexi slowly with a heat gun then pressing it over the box (with gloves) until it was formed. Then drilled small air holes about the thickness of a pencil.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice