Light for 20 gallon long

• Thread starter Mouska
  • Start date

Mouska

Tank has Hygrophila Pinnatifida, pearlweed, floaters, Ludwigia Repens, Rotala Vietnam, Hydrocotyle Japan, S. Repens, Christmas moss, Hornwort, dwarf hairgrass, and Rotala Bonsai. The tank is a 20 gallon long and I am dosing seachem potassium and will be adding in osmocote root tabs. Right now I have a tetra LED light and hood that has 7 watts. The plants are growing okay and get 1.5x or 2x bigger per week depending on the plant. I was wondering if my current light is good enough for the plants I have. The light I want to get is a vivagrow 30 inch but it is 35 dollars, but Im not sure it’s worth the money.

mimo91088

Well Known
It depends what you're trying to do. You looking for that hair grass to keep a nice short carpet? Then you're going to need a bright powerful light. But on the other hand if you're ok with it growing taller and more untamed looking (I prefer it this way) than anything will likely do and your current light is probably fine. I like Nicrew for cheap LEDs if you want a slight upgrade for cheap $$.

Mouska

mimo91088 said:
It depends what you're trying to do. You looking for that hair grass to keep a nice short carpet? Then you're going to need a bright powerful light. But on the other hand if you're ok with it growing taller and more untamed looking (I prefer it this way) than anything will likely do and your current light is probably fine. I like Nicrew for cheap LEDs if you want a slight upgrade for cheap $$.
Where did you get your nicrew I am only finding ones that are a few dollars cheaper. I also like the more untamed look of hairgrass, but I don’t want it to grow too tall and not spread throughout the tank, because I would like a carpet.

mimo91088

Well Known
The basic one is like 25 or 30 on Amazon I think. That's about the bottom end for a decent light. But Nicrew will get you more for the dollar than many brands in that price range.

Top Bottom