Light for 125 gallon planted tank

1. bolivianramzor Member Member

Hey guys,

My situation is that I am trying to setup a 6 foot 125 gallon medium planted tank in the next 2 months. I have been doing as much research as possible so that I get the right equipment and have as little regrets and wasted money as possible.

- I would prefer if the light is LED to reduce my power bill. Also, I would like for it to have the moonlight option that can be set on a timer. (I feel like not many lights have this option when it is so crucial)

- I will not be providing Co2, but will be dosing ferts and Flourish Excel.

- Looking for medium lighting

- Is Finnex a good brand? I would like to stay under 200$

If you know any lights that fit these specifications, please let me know. Thanks guys!

2. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Finnex is great! I own three of their fixtures. I really like them.

3. bolivianramzor Member Member

I heard that they don't produce a lot of light and that they aren't too good for planted tanks. What you think about that?

4. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I suggest you look up the PAR data on the fixtures you are interested in and compare these to the high end fixtures. The planted plus and fugeray 2 series are very bright lights.

5. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

6. bolivianramzor Member Member

Ok, I was just looking at some youtube reviews and they were saying it wasn't enough light, but those things are always personal opinions. Just wanted to get some opinions from other people. I currently have a coralife t5 ho on my 55 gallon and I like how It looks. It makes the plants and fish look great, its medium lighting, but it doesn't have moonlight LED's.

What are your guys opinions on the odyssea t5ho with moonlight led's?

How many bulbs would I need for a medium planted tank? They sell them in 2 bulbs or 4 bulbs I think.