Light fixture for planted tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mully60, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Mully60Valued MemberMember

OK, so I have been having a lot of issue with the equipment that came with my 55 gallon tank I got from a friend. I'm now having an issue with the light fixture. I have a few questions.

1. My hood/light fixture gave out yesterday and it's on my planted tank. How long can I go without the light? I want to order one online but if my plants will die I'll have to go to my LFS and pick one up today.

2. Which lighting figure does everyone recommend? Any difference between t5ho and LED? It's a low to medium planted 55 gallon tank.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

Your plants can't go without light for more than 3 days and you might come out with an algae bloom.

I use a finnex fudgeray planted + on my 20 and a zoo med ultra sun super daylight bulb in a T8 fixture i got from a hardwear store on my 5g.
    Both T5ho and LED's should work equally as well as long as you have the right about of bulbs.

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore! :)
    Plants can go a couple days without light (depending on which plants) I was gone for 1 week and a half and my low light plants did well without any light. T5 or leds will work, just make sure they are 6500k. A lot of people prefer LEDs over t5's because you save money in the long run. With t5's, you have to change the bulbs every few months or so and that can add up. I use t5 fixtures and they are good for growing plants. But I do recommend LEDs if you wish to save some money in the long run :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    M

Mully60Valued MemberMember

OK, thank you. They are mostly low light plants. I had a 30 gallon tank set up before so for the time being, I'm going to use that and just rotate it sides after a while. I'll hopefully order one today and have it shipped tomorrow.

Another question. I was looking at the finnex planted plus and it says it's 7000k. Will that be alright? Also how do the watts compare to t5s? I'm curious as to how many watts per gallon the finnex is?

5. AquaticBrandon

I don't have experience with those fixtures. But 7000k should still grow plants. Usually 6500k is more ideal for plants, but 7k still works. Watts per gallon doesn't work anymore, it's an outdated method

6. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

The finnex planted+ is definitely enough to grow. I have one on my 40b
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437332103.547004.jpg .

As far as wpg you can't really go by that on led lights as much because LEDs are more energy efficient. The PAR values would be a better system to go by.

7. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

8. OP
    OP
    M

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info. Looks like I'll be ordering a finnex planted plus today!

Your tank looks awesome by the way! Mine is just starting out so the plants haven't grown in yet.

Attached Files:

9. AquaticBrandon

Looks good! Once the plants fill in, it's going to look really good

10. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks!

11. Jswin

Agreed. Very nice aquascape

12. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks! I can't wait to get my finnex planted plus so they start growing!

13. AquaticBrandon

Also, I would recommend getting a fertilizer like Seachem Flourish. Really good fertilizer. Also depending on what plants you're getting or have, root tabs will work. Root tabs help heavy root feeding plants like jungle Val, crypts and swords :)

14. OP
    OP
    M

I currently use Seachem Flourish twice a week. I also have used a few root tabs but feel i may not have placed them close enough to the plant. I tried to put one between two plants so they could both feed off of it. I should have probably placed one by each plant. How often do I add more root tabs? I have been debating if I should also use excel? any harm in doing it or not doing it?

As for an update, I ordered the Finnex planted+ 48in off amazon and it will arrive tomorrow after work!

15. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You should change root tabs every 3 months out I believe. You should definitely use Excel, its a liquid carbon substitute for pressurized CO2. If you didnt use Excel, I'd think you would have an imbalance somewhere and photosynthesis couldnt occur and then you may have an algae problem. But I'm no expert on plants so dont take my word for it! lol

16. AquaticBrandon

What plants do you have? Not using excel won't hurt, but it does help. In my 60 gallon tank I jus ruse root tabs and All my plants are doing fine.

17. OP
    OP
    M

18. AquaticBrandon

The Amazon swords and crypts will benefit from the root tabs and the Anubias will benefit from the excel. Be careful, I believe using excel will melt anacharis as it has happened to a few people. Yes these are mostly low light plants

19. Jswin

I love cryptocoryne balansae. I have some of those and some crypt wendii but balnsae is my favorite and it makes a cool looking background plant

20. OP
    OP
    M

OK, I'll probably give it a try. I don't have any problems with algae yet so maybe it will also prevent that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice