Light fertilizer .. No co2 what lights do you use Help

1. Chloe432 Initiate Member

Hi so I have my 10gallon planted tank up and running (about 3weeks) I have ludwigia broad leaf Which is showing new growth and doing well but my other plants are just living not thriving. I've check my light and silly me it's only 11watts (it was an old one I had not being used) so I'm looking round at different lights, the only ones I can physically buy from shops near me are aqua ones , does anyone have these or would you recommend something else. I also have a liquid fertilizer I use as a weekly dose.... But no co2
    Really I'm just looking into what people really think of high light tanks with no co2 can they really thrive? Whats lights do you use? Any tips

2. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Do not use ferts without co2. What other plants do you have? Different plants have different requirements. Check out this chart to have a look how much light you will need. For high light plants I recommend t5ho or ho led. (Ho being high output) Check out this chart for more info-http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105774

3. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

My plant guru Dolfan suggested I replace incandescent lights in my 10G with Zoo Med CFL ULTRA SUN, 6500k /10 watt/ 5". So far it has been working very well.

4. Chloe432 Initiate Member

Thanks I'll look at both of them

5. Chloe432 Initiate Member

I've had a look at my other plants and most are low to mid light ,there aren't really any high as I didn't think I could get a good enough light so opted not to buy them, but obviously I would love to get a better light as I want my plants to thrive , also I'm trying to sort all this while there are no fish :)
    I have my sketch and think it will look good when all set ,it's just getting there Hehe :)

6. Chloe432 Initiate Member

We'll just an update i got the T5 aqua zonic 2x16w 45cm (my tanks 46cm) but I comes with brackets and fits nicely I fitted it with the T5 aqua zonic super tropical pink and the super sun tubes , I'm really happy it looks great. There was LED lights available in store but they were climbing into the 200$ range and I wasn't ready for that sort of money :)

7. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

It looks like a reasonable choice, not a brand I run into here in the US but it looks attractive online. Puts you solidly into the medium light or higher category (depending on reflectors and such) and you will probably need CO2/ferts to ward off algae and get the most out of it. I'd look at DIY CO2 although liquid carbon like Seachem Excel can work as well.