Light cycle?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by allisong, Jul 28, 2015.

1. a

allisong New Member Member

Hi guys,

Any advice on an effective cycle for my lights? I have a big algae build up problem and after research, Im pretty sure it's down to prolonged lighting and the need for some real plants.
    Would it be better to have a cycle where I have a few hours on a few hours off, or say mid day to evening?
    Is there a set standard guide in following the best times for lighting?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my D6603 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

The algae is from alot of minerals in your water, you need to do more water changes. 12 hour a day lighting.

3. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

You can have algae even if you change your water twice a week. I agree they need nutrients but that would happen just from the fish and no live plants taking them up.

Adding plants would help overall as they will consume your nitrates also. Do you know what your nitrates are? I have my lights on four hours in the morning, 3 hour siesta, 4 hours after that. I have a small amount of algae on my plants, not much. Am letting it grow on the back wall as I have read that will help limit where it lives. I'm not saying my lighting schedule is the only way or anything because every tank and lighting in the room and plants in the tank and amount of fish etc will determine how many hours your lights should be on.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Personally, I'm on a 4 hour on, 5 hour off, 4 hour on schedule and it seems to be working mostly, except the diatoms I'm currently battling.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

More time with the light on will help get those diatoms to go away.

6. Dom90

Yea... I been hearing that from other people, I'm gonna have to try it. Maybe increase it back to 10 hours like before.

7. OP
    OP
    a

allisong New Member Member

Great info, so what times do you actually set them too. It's a 180 litre tank

Sent from my D6603 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. Dom90

It's personal preference, just have your lights on a timer.

9. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

But then your black beard algae may come back....I actually kind of like the black beard algae ha ha , it looks like moss.

Anyways, I was reading recently, the first thing you should look at when you start seeing too much green algae types is to cut back on fertilizers as your fish may be putting out enough depending on your plant types and lighting quality.

allisong, here is a good link about algae and pictures too:

10. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

11. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

I just tried hydrogen peroxide on my hair and bba last night. I'll see if it took care of it today

12. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

That's an interesting approach, best of luck with it (I have heard nothing negative about it); I am just posting to mention that rarely does one post leave itself open to so many interpretations :).
    All the best, rick

13. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

Or use flourish excell. Liquid Co2 and lots of water changes worked for me. I use to have big problems with algae becuase of nitrates and excessive floursent overhead lighting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice