Light color that can be left on all night without stressing fishes?

OuiBonjour

I use LED strips as secondary lighting or back-lighting for my tanks, and I usually turn off the main white light first in the evening, then the colored background a couple of hours later. However, I really like the look of a dark room glowing from a dark red or dark blue aquarium by night.

I know there's a debate on whether fishes need total darkness or not, but I also read that fishes don't care about red light as they think it's still pitch black for them.

I also read the opposite about the red lights, stating that it's not the fish that does not see red light, but red lights not getting true deep water at a certain "deepness", so it does not actually reach fishes that swim deep.

What do you guys think ?

Do they see the red light ? If they do, do they care ? Will it stresses them ? What about moonlight, black light, and dark blue lights ?

And if fishes are okay with that, what about algae ? Do they care about colors ?

AmnScott

Short answer: No, all lights/colors affect fish and contribute to algae.

Long answer:

Any color of light can contribute to algae, even blue lighting (often referred to as moonlight). Also, lighting (any color) can affect the "sleep cycle" of a fish. It is best to have some dark time in the tank so the fish can rest and to prevent algae growth.

It doesn't hurt to have some blue or red LEDs on for a couple of hours after the main light(s) shuts off, though. Just don't keep it on overnight all the time. As I mentioned earlier, your tank does need some "dark time".

My lights are all on timers. But sometimes I will manually turn on a dim blue or red light while I am in a room with a tank late at night.

Keep in mind, this is all based on my experience and independent research. Some aquarists believe red lighting does NOT affect a fish's sleep. But fish can see red light, and my fish do remain active even with a red light on.

Also, based on my experience, red lighting does not promote too much algae growth, but it is a light source, and if kept on 24/7 (along with normal lights during the day), it can cause algae to grow exponentially.

Generally speaking, the dimmer a light/color is, the less active a fish will be. All of my lights have a "sun up/sun down" phase in which the lights gradually come on/off. Probably not necessary, but it's a cool effect.

Upvote 0

AmnScott

In addition to my post above, I have a source you can read below. It shows that even blue and red lights contribute to algae growth. They used a white light as a control, and compared it to red/blue lighting.

The study was done by the Department of Biochemistry, Michigan State University.

Source: http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/plantphysiol/42/8/1123.full.pdf

(Sorry for the double post, had issues with linking the source link in my original comment/post)

Upvote 0

Wrench

They say that red light does not affect sleep patterns for them but I think a black out period at night is a smart thing to do.

Upvote 0

smee82

Any light will help algae to grow but if you only keep it on for a little at night it shouldn't cause to much trouble.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Thanks for the replies guys. That's pretty much what I thought, but I took a chance just in case there was a magic combination that worked lol Thanks!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishjunkiejimmy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kitley
  • Question
Replies
Views