Status
Not open for further replies.

YogiBear257

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
All,

Happy Festive Friday! (It's Wednesday but it is my Friday).

The time as come for me to start plotting on how to replace the insidious T8 on my 20long blackwater tank.

I really want to replicate the sun ray effect I have seen some users post on Youtube.

Specifically - this gorgeous number: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnamvJaW0sc

I combed through the comments on multiple videos to find the setup and the most he gave was a setup with 5W and 10W incandescent bulbs. This dark type with the soft rays is perfect!

I am a complete n00b when it comes to lighting/electrical. To achieve this style of lighting what am I looking at?

Bulbs with long cylindrical diffusers? LEDs with tints?

I am planning to assemble stand which will act as a floating canopy to install the lights. I have ideas here but do not know enough to make an educated decision.

Can anyone shed some light? har de har

YogiBear257

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Double bump!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

outlaw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll take a stab at this. Please note this is just my opinion.

Like you said, there wasn't a ton of info in the video description or comments.

I did see this in one of the similar vids youtube recommended. I don't know if that would be too much light for what you're looking to do
[video=youtube;UnnvhiD-HPA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnnvhiD-HPA[/video]

That fixture looks similar to a marineland double bright or similarly setup fixture. Ff you aren't comfortable with the DIY side with electrical and soldering. Getting a light similar to that might be a better option (ie single bright version).

If you are just looking to get the shimmer effect with soft yellowish glow. You'll want to be in the 2700-3500K spectrum which is what most incandescent bulbs are and CFL (spiral bulb) can cover. These are usually sold as "soft white"

Do you have a hood or canopy you are trying to use? Going DIY would give you the most options but finding an led fixture with the right color might be right up your alley.

From the bit they covered in the comments, it is lightly a diy with a couple track light type pods for angling the bulbs.

**update**
Was looking on the webs and found these-

They also have a 3W version. May be more desirable with your shallow tank.

Simple 2 wire (power and ground) would keep your electrical side to a minimum. Could use thin acrylic from the hardware store or tape to scuff up as a defuser so you don't trash the light. Since you are looking for the "ray" effect, these would probably do that and not require too many of them.

Last edited:

YogiBear257

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry I did not respond sooner. I checked this out earlier and starting mocking up designs based on what you suggested to send over to my brother (electrician).

The good news is here I am planning to do a DIY rack/stand/etc for the lights. I basically just need to be pointed to exact lights and good to go!

Thank you so much for the big help!

outlaw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Awesome! Love DIY

I do want to iterate this is just my opinion and how I would approach this if I were doing it. I can't guarantee you will get the same effects as seen in the video. And with any DIY, it is at your own risk

With that out of the way.

I would get 3-4 of the 3W Warm White (not doing any plants)
CAUTION- When selecting, make sure to check your voltage(if you want AC or DC(requires power supply)) and lamp color (Warm white 2600-2800K)

The 3W in my opinion would give you the light to view the tank but keep it dark. The 2600-2800K should give you that soft orangish-red glow.

If you decided you wanted it brighter, here is the 6W version (12-24V!!). Make sure to check your color temperature.

Depending how your mounting is going to be, you could stagger the lights so they aren't in a straight line. This might help with getting the beams of light.

I may have more to come but wanted to make sure I got this out there before I left for the evening. Oh yeah.. Because they come from over seas, make sure you are OK with shipping times.

Happy New Year!
Outlaw

**Note- This is how I would approach it without going crazy DIY. I have some other ideas but would be time somewhat time consuming and require soldering and mounting of individual LEDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom