Lifespan of Malaysian driftwood

1. azbev

azbev Member Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I have a couple pieces of Malaysian drift wood in my 20 gal. fresh. I soaked and boiled them prior to putting in tank about 8-9 months ago. Nowadays, when I remove it to rinse occasionally (in dirty tank water) I get lots of debris off it and small pieces of wood. So question: How long does Malaysian drift wood last in an aquarium before it should be replaced? What type of wood is actually BEST for an aquarium or will last a long time? (I use no CO2, ferts or chemicals.) Thank you.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +8,487
    Boiling wood can shorten it's lifespan because you're causing the fibers to burst.

I have Malaysian driftwood in my tank now. It has been in there for a year and a half now, and it's not breaking down.

Most all hardwoods should last you a while.

I wouldn't boil the pieces though - soak in hot water instead (with or without a little bit of bleach - if you soak it in a small percentage of bleach water, soak it in Prime water afterwards).

3. OP
    OP
    azbev

azbev Member Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi TexasDomer, Well, since the Malaysian driftwood in my tank was boiled and soaked! and has been in the tank for 8-9 months and seems to "shed" when I gently rinse it, do you think I should replace it? Or should I wait until it completely falls apart? :) :):;thx

4. OP
    OP
    azbev

azbev Member Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Oh, BTW, thank you very much for the information on how to properly prepare the wood in the future! I appreciate your help.

How do you achieve "Firshlore VIP" status anyway??? Very impressive. :)

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +8,487
    I think that's completely up to you! If it's degrading too much and making your tank messy, now might be a good time to change it.

No problem! And by posting a lot :) This forum is part of my hobby :)

6. OP
    OP
    azbev

azbev Member Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Ah, thank you. Yes, this forum is quickly becoming part of my hobby as well. It is full of interesting and sometimes entertaining information. :) It seems to be peopled with very helpful, quite friendly and usually nonjudgmental fish folks -- a fun and educational place to spend some time.