Lifespan of Malaysian driftwood

1. azbev Member Member

I have a couple pieces of Malaysian drift wood in my 20 gal. fresh. I soaked and boiled them prior to putting in tank about 8-9 months ago. Nowadays, when I remove it to rinse occasionally (in dirty tank water) I get lots of debris off it and small pieces of wood. So question: How long does Malaysian drift wood last in an aquarium before it should be replaced? What type of wood is actually BEST for an aquarium or will last a long time? (I use no CO2, ferts or chemicals.) Thank you.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Boiling wood can shorten it's lifespan because you're causing the fibers to burst.

I have Malaysian driftwood in my tank now. It has been in there for a year and a half now, and it's not breaking down.

Most all hardwoods should last you a while.

I wouldn't boil the pieces though - soak in hot water instead (with or without a little bit of bleach - if you soak it in a small percentage of bleach water, soak it in Prime water afterwards).

3. azbev Member Member

Hi TexasDomer, Well, since the Malaysian driftwood in my tank was boiled and soaked! and has been in the tank for 8-9 months and seems to "shed" when I gently rinse it, do you think I should replace it? Or should I wait until it completely falls apart? :) :):;thx

4. azbev Member Member

Oh, BTW, thank you very much for the information on how to properly prepare the wood in the future! I appreciate your help.

How do you achieve "Firshlore VIP" status anyway??? Very impressive. :)

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think that's completely up to you! If it's degrading too much and making your tank messy, now might be a good time to change it.

No problem! And by posting a lot :) This forum is part of my hobby :)

6. azbev Member Member

Ah, thank you. Yes, this forum is quickly becoming part of my hobby as well. It is full of interesting and sometimes entertaining information. :) It seems to be peopled with very helpful, quite friendly and usually nonjudgmental fish folks -- a fun and educational place to spend some time.