lifespan of Guppies & Platys

1. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Ok, one site tells me 2 yrs for Platys and 8 mths for Guppies, and another tells me 4 or 5 yrs for both. (And the majority of sources don't give any lifespan info) ??? ???

2. Jason Well Known Member Member

I'd say a good few years

3. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

It has beenn my experince that most guppies and other livebearers have about a 2-3 year life span.
    There are exceptions, but that has been what I have seen as a rule over the past 25 years of fish keeping.

dino

4. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

WOW, 25 years, I think I'll go with the 2-3 years! Is that based on mid-sized ones you bought from a store, or ones you raised from fry?

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I think you read his post wrong. The fish live 2-3 years. Dino's experience is 25 plus years. ;)

6. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

2-3 years from fry born here.

Dino

7. Jason Well Known Member Member

TWENTY FIVE YEARS. I suppose thats nothing considering how old you are. I forgot how many centuries old are you again?

8. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

lol, until I read the how many centuries part (forgot Dino was an alien) I was like whoa, thats not nice :D

9. Jason Well Known Member Member

lol

10. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I will be 19,670,427 next month.
    Only 39 of it will have been in this body though.

dino

11. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

lol

12. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, that's what I meant, that Dino's experience is so long I'll go with what he says for lifespan. I wonder if any fish actually live 25 years? ;)

OK, so I can probably expect my babies Sunspot and Promie to live 2-3 years, and Corona and Chromie from the store to live 1-2 years. Sorry...just thinking to myself... ;) I'm trying to get an idea of how long my fish will live. Now I'm wondering about the Otos...don't worry, I started another thread. ;)

13. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I have a 15 year old loach and a couple of ten year old goldfish here.

Dino

14. Jason Well Known Member Member

Over 19 million years, what was the universe like 19million years ago? ;)

15. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, Dino, those are pretty old fish! What kind of loach?

Ummm, I'm pretty sure the universe didn't exist 19 million years ago. What was Nothing like, Dino? ;)

16. Jon Well Known Member Member

lol the universe existed 19 million years ago... fish did as well... there were even hominids and such...

I have heard of a gold fish living 41 years but goldfish have exceptionaly long lifespans...

Guppies and platys can live a few good years and every once in a while you might get one that lives 4-5 years ... consider a sign they like the way you take care of them.

17. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, I had no idea they could live 41 years!

18. Jon Well Known Member Member

well its of course not a common occurence but wierd things happen ^,^

19. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

the reccord for gold fish is like70+ years

20. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

:eek: