Life in my Sump

offminded
I was checking on my sump the other day and noticed something very interesting on one of the bits of rubble in my sump. I saw what looked like a feather duster or some other tree looking thing. To be quite honest, it looks like a white or translucent palm tree. Anyway, I shined a light on it to get a closer look at it and it retracted itself. It was pretty neat...unless it is something harmful. If not, I would like to move it up to the main tank. I will try and get a photo of it to help me identify it. Has anyone had similar experiences in their sump?

Oil_Fan
Not in my sump but I do have a feather duster in my main tank. They really quite cool looking.

offminded
if it is a feather duster I am stoked!

Martinismommy
davbrown79 said:
I was checking on my sump the other day and noticed something very interesting on one of the bits of rubble in my sump. I saw what looked like a feather duster or some other tree looking thing. To be quite honest, it looks like a white or translucent palm tree. Anyway, I shined a light on it to get a closer look at it and it retracted itself. It was pretty neat...unless it is something harmful. If not, I would like to move it up to the main tank. I will try and get a photo of it to help me identify it. Has anyone had similar experiences in their sump?
Dave,

Are you sure it's not what I had? The unwanted house guest....Look at my posts on the salt water forum...

offminded
Martinismommy said:
Dave,

Are you sure it's not what I had? The unwanted house guest....Look at my posts on the salt water forum...
where am I to look?

Martinismommy
offminded
hmmm...it looks similar...what is it? is it bad news?

Martinismommy
davbrown79 said:
hmmm...it looks similar...what is it? is it bad news?
Yes, it is VERY bad...It's called Aiptasia...It will take over your tank in 2 weeks....This is why I bought the peppermint shrimp (which have helped the problem)

Can you snap a picture of it Dave?

offminded
Martinismommy said:
Yes, it is VERY bad...It's called Aiptasia...It will take over your tank in 2 weeks....This is why I bought the peppermint shrimp (which have helped the problem)

Can you snap a picture of it Dave?
I was afraid of it being aiptasia...I will snap a shot of it as soon as I can. what do they look like when they start out? are they little white masses when they begin to grow? do they have the ability to retract inside of their base?

Martinismommy
davbrown79 said:
I was afraid of it being aiptasia...I will snap a shot of it as soon as I can. what do they look like when they start out? are they little white masses when they begin to grow? do they have the ability to retract inside of their base?
Mine retracted when anything came near them....Yes, they started out tiny and cute...It wasn't until they got bigger until I realized I had a problem...I'm not sure if this is what you have growing in your tank, but it sure sounds like it...

offminded
uh oh...now i'm nervous...they are all in my sump and not in my tank...if it is aiptasia...what do I need to do...what damage can they do?

Peterpiper
Lets make sure of what they are first before we hit the panic button.
Sounds like they could be feather dusters
Check and see if you can ID them from this link

Oil_Fan
I agree with Peterpiper. There is big difference between the two and it should be pretty obvious which is which. My feather duster is growing very slowly. I've had him for months since I got that piece of live rock.

Martinismommy
Peterpiper said:
Lets make sure of what they are first before we hit the panic button.
Sounds like they could be feather dusters
Check and see if you can ID them from this link
Excellent website..I agree with you..Don't panic Dave..Just find out what it is..

agsansoo
They are actually beneficial in your sump or fuge. I have a bunch in my overflow box. They act as a pre-filter for uneaten food.

Peterpiper
Aiptasia or dusters?

agsansoo
Aiptasia. They acts as a direct export of excess nutrients.

needabiggertank
How many of these aptasia or feather duster looking things do you have? I noticed one then two then like 10 and just like they appeared they disapeared. I still have one or two but they do look like feather dusters.

agsansoo
No Aiptasia in the display tank (peppermint shrimp eat them). Around 50-100 in the overflow box. A couple in the sump. They can't survive with light. A couple in the fuge.

offminded
well...I will take some shots tonight or this weekend and post them. so long as they stay in my sump I am a happy camper...if it is a feather duster I would like to move it to my tank...I assume I do not want to transport aiptasia to my main tank...righjt?

agsansoo
Correct ! They will multiply like crazy.

offminded
I am already noticing a ton of little white masses throughout my sump...I assume that they are the beginning of the aiptasia...

Martinismommy
davbrown79 said:
I am already noticing a ton of little white masses throughout my sump...I assume that they are the beginning of the aiptasia...

Dave,

Describe the white masses..Does it look like a small cottonball?

offminded
Martinismommy said:
Dave,

Describe the white masses..Does it look like a small cottonball?
yup!

Martinismommy
davbrown79 said:
This is how they start out..At least in my tank they did..I even have a little white cottonball right now I'm watching..I can't wait to see photo's of what you have growing..I'm hoping it's all good!

offminded
Martinismommy said:
This is how they start out..At least in my tank they did..I even have a little white cottonball right now I'm watching..I can't wait to see photo's of what you have growing..I'm hoping it's all good!
from what andy said...it would seem to be all good...that dude knows more than I will ever know...I bow down

agsansoo
agsansoo said:
No Aiptasia in the display tank (peppermint shrimp eat them). Around 50-100 in the overflow box. A couple in the sump. They can't survive with light. A couple in the fuge.
After re-reading this. Should be, can't survive without light.

offminded
agsansoo said:
After re-reading this. Should be, can't survive without light.
so...they need light to survive?

agsansoo
Yes. They will over run a tank within a month or two. One day you notice a few, then without realizing, they are everywhere ! Peppermint shrimp will keep them in check.

offminded
hmmm...assuming I have aiptasia in my sump...what do you suggest I do? can they get transported to my main tank from my sump somehow?

agsansoo
Yes, they can migrate to the display tank through your return pump. Then they will feed the peppermint shrimp. This is a natural approach to the problem. I tried the chemical approach, didn't work for me.

offminded
when should I get the peppermint? I don't know anything about them? how many? do they get along with cleaners?

Sabi
agsansoo said:
They are actually beneficial in your sump or fuge. I have a bunch in my overflow box. They act as a pre-filter for uneaten food.
I did not know that, interesting.
I just hope I can get peppermint shrimp in SA!

agsansoo
davbrown79 said:
when should I get the peppermint? I don't know anything about them? how many? do they get along with cleaners?
I have both, one cleaner shrimp and about 3-5 peppermint shrimp in my tank. I would get two or three to start with, and see if that keeps the Aiptasia under control. Your cleaner shrimp will chase them out of his area at night, he will not hurt them.

offminded
agsansoo said:
I have both, one cleaner shrimp and about 3-5 peppermint shrimp in my tank. I would get two or three to start with, and see if that keeps the Aiptasia under control. Your cleaner shrimp will chase them out of his area at night, he will not hurt them.
that's great news...I am actually thinking about building my own cleaner crew from DFS...price seems right and I don't have to remove my cleaner shrimp. I bet its fun to watch them interact!

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom