Life expectancy after birth

1. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi all,
    I have had Guppies for around 8 months now. Ive had 3 different lots of fry, so i am mastering breeding and bringing up guppies. The thing im not sure about is the life expectancy of the adult female guppy after birth, my first 2 mothers died weeks after birth with all their fry outliving them right up until today. The last female to have fry in early May is still alive and healthy today which is great but makes me wonder about the other 2 i lost. Are there any other Guppy breeders here that could shed some light on my problem?

2. sunshine2012

sunshine2012 Valued Member Member

Any and all guppies can live 1-3 years. A female guppy can hold sperm for up to a year so she can give birth every 30 days.

3. Sadique Mohammad Akhtar

Sadique Mohammad Akhtar New Member Member

I believe your female guppies died after giving birth due to some stress or disease related issues. I haven't seen female guppies dying just after giving birth. I've had guppies for about 6 months now. Though I've had fish deaths in my fish tank but it's never been the case that a female guppy died after one week of giving birth.

4. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi Sadique,
    Ok then, must of been illness or stress i imagine. Thank you :)

Hi Sunshine,
    Thank you, i actually didn't know that about Guppies!

I have lots of fry growing up atm, they really are the cutest little things. I was trying to decide their sex tonight but i don't really know what im looking for, most have black back halves of their body which i assume are females. Some have clear bodies with a little color in their tails which i also assume they are females. As yet i don't think i have spotted any males. I think there is around 20 fry all together and they are from 3 different births, on counting them i think i may have siphoned a few up in a water change so i now siphon through a net.

5. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

Sexing fry becomes easier at a few months of age. The black back halves don't necessarily mean female, it just means that you have a half-black strain of guppies :)

Depending on body color, female fry will have a black gravid spot and triangular anal fins, just like the adult females. It's pretty easy to spot. Males might take a little longer to develop the gonopodium, so what you think may be a female might actually be a late male! Both genders also develop color in tails first, so that's not always an indicator.

If you're trying to separate the fry by gender, it's easier to put the males in a separate tank rather than the females because as said above, late males can be mistaken for females.

I'll see if I can get some photos of my own fry.

6. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi Aster!
    Thank you very much for that info. I just took 2 pics of my fry to show you guys why im having trouble with their sex, but after reading above i might have more luck now.
    This fry is a December 2015 baby
    [​IMG]
    And this fry is a March 2016
    [​IMG]
    And i couldnt get a pic of the May babies they are too small and wouldn't
    come up to the glass for me.

7. Aster

The second picture looks like a female to me, I'm not sure about the first but I'm thinking it's a girl too. I don't see a gravid spot from that picture but if it's a 6 month old male it should have developed its gonopodium almost completely if not completely by then, and I can't see any sign of that.

8. sunshine2012

sunshine2012 Valued Member Member

Your welcome. My momma had 21 fry and they are very cute!

9. Aster

I also had the hardest time sexing my fry for the first time when I didn't know what to look for, but pictures are really helpful.

DSC03792.JPG
    The blonde red is a juvie female and also pregnant, I'm pretty sure the gray above/behind her is also female.
    DSC03797.JPG
    Female.
    DSC03807.JPG
    Both males. You can see that they don't have a gravid spot, and although you can't really tell from the pictures the anal fin is getting thicker at the front and changing into a gonopodium.
    DSC03809.JPG
    The gray front and center is male, the other two at the left are unidentified but possibly male.

Hope this helps!

10. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Thank you so much! Im going to have fun sexing these babies now i know exactly what im looking for! :D
    Your fry are cute and nice colors too, mine are pretty plain in color compared.

11. Lucky Guppy

Lucky Guppy Valued Member Member

After giving birth a female should be moved to a resting tank with no males for a few days and fed well and the water kept hygienic reduce infection and well aerated but don't have a fast flowing current.
    Female guppies also become stressed if you have an imbalance of males to females, a good ratio is one male to three females.
    Male guppies in their prime are very virile, it is not necessary to have many males to ensure successful breeding and one male usually can easily handle a harem of 10 females which will keep him very calm and allow the females to recuperate from his vigorous advances.

A male female pair "1 male, 1 female" can be kept together but in a roomy tank and with hiding spots for the female.

http://howtobreedguppies.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/guppy-anatomy.jpg

Guppies mature faster in warmer climates and slower in colder ones.
    Preferred temperature range for guppies is 22-25 degrees Celsius or 72-77 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Guppies become sexually mature between 3-4 months of age so you should begin to look out for a change in the Anal fin which begins to change into the Gonopodium "Penis" in the ones that will turn into males.

NT. some males can take very long to change and there anal fin can remain looking just like the females until they change, this sometimes takes twice as long as usual. So after 4 months you may think you have a female only to have it morph into a male after another month or two.

TIP : Keep a Breeding journal and fry batch numbers or have labels on your batches of fry with the average date when born so you can keep track of their age and makes the timing for sexing them easier.
    After you do this one or two times you will have a good feel for the average amount of days after birth that the fry will begin to "go through puberty" according to your climate temperature or your tank heater temperature.

12. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi Lucky!
    Ah huh! Thats what i did wrong, i put the females back into the main tank with the males after birth! Perhaps thats why they died.
    I had no idea Guppies liked warm water until last week! So i now have a heater in the main tank but i am in a pickle with the fry, i dont have the money for a heater for them atm. I did however buy some plastic non toxic dividers today. I was thinking i could move the fry into one of my heated tanks, i just need to decide which tank.
    I have written down birth dates and gave the guppies a number per batch.
    Thank you very much for the advice!!
    My mission tonight is to re home the fry temporarily until i can afford yet another heater. :)

13. Aster

Could you get a breeder box and put the fry in there? Or if you're not looking to breed guppies seriously, just keep them in the main tank, even if some get eaten the majority will survive anyway.

14. Lucky Guppy

If your tank is deep and has fast flowing current it wont be wise to have the fry directly in there.
    Adult guppies can be slippery and find a way past the separators if there is a space.
    A simple floating container or bucket suspended into the water at equal water level but keeping the rim a few inches higher to prevent adults from jumping in will work fine as a temporary way to keep your fry warm.
    The bucket system works in the same way as when you acclimatize a new fish to a tank by placing the bag into the water for 15 minutes to equalize the temperature of the new fish water to the tank water, you would just be leaving the fry in there until you get the new heater.

As for Aster suggestion of a breeder box, I'm not 100 percent sure but I think they are designed to keep the Momma in and let the fry escape so she doesn't eat them.
    I'm not sure though, who knows there could be one that does the opposite?

15. Aster

Yes there are breeder boxes that have small gaps in them that do what you mention but others are made of fine net or solid plastic and hang on the side of the tank. They work in the same way as the bucket/floating container method you're talking about :)

16. Lucky Guppy

lol I'm a bit of a simple DIYer, I usually go for the simplest fastest most efficient way.
    I've seen those nets, I guess I never payed it much attention as a simple bucket is usually always at hand :) lol good idea but a little to rich for my needs.

17. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi Lucky and Aster!
    Thank you both for your help but i decided to go for something different. I stole a little space in Rosy my bettas tank for the fry. I put a divider in that is secure in place and Rosy cant jump it nor the fry fit through any gaps. There is a slight gap under the divider with gravel there so the filter flow still pushes through to the fry. I also have a air stone in with the fry and a heater, the heat also goes through to Rosy through the plastic divider. Its very make shift, but its working! I woke up this morning and all fry and Rosy were alive and happy.
    This is a photo of the fry getting brought up to temp in my gourami's tank, he and my mollies thought the fry looked like a nice snack!
    [​IMG]
    Then this is a pic of me setting up Rosy tank for the fry:
    [​IMG]
    And this is a photo taken this morning of the fry in the tank:
    [​IMG]
    Rosy is hiding but the fry are swimming around like mad happy in their
    new home for the time being. As i said its very make shift but it seems to be working great! If i had of put them in a breeder box in Rosy tank she would have been able to see them and stress them out. There was no room for a breeder tub in any of my other tanks so this is it for now. :)

18. Lucky Guppy

Good job and for making sure the holes in the divider were to small for the fry to go through, sometimes the fry can just be curious and go through and :;sharky get eaten.

19. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Thanks! But, im just in the process of moving them, stealing a part of my betta Rosy tank has stressed her out badly. So the poor fry have to be moved again :(

20. Lucky Guppy

lol i just looked at the picture with the fry, they look like already a month+
    Guppy can stay in temperatures as low as 10-15 degrees Celsius, they will just grow slower in the cooler temperature because it slows their metabolism "not shorter".