Lid On Or Lid Off?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
On. The cat drinks enough water as is, I don't need her swimming in there too.

Containing evaporation .

No risk of jumping fish.

tetratetris

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi and welcome to Fishlore!

If you have jumping fish it can keep them from jumping out and hurting themselves. It can also keep some sunlight out and prevent algae growth. Also it may hold lights. In general it might just look better.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
On. My wife's hair would infest the tanks otherwise. I do swap out for screen in Jul/Aug though.

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
On, potential jumping fish and mystery snails are escape artists. On my other tanks as well for evaporation control
I have mine off, just because I need the light to penetrate for my plants, I had couple of amano jumps and 1 swordtail, so I'm trying something else I have a glass lid but it's reducing the light drastically because of the moisture build up

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
On.

Same fur/feather factory. Keep contaminants out and jumpy fish in. Reduce evaporation.

Glass lids on 7/8 tanks, just prefer them though they are hard to keep clean when you have harder water like I do.

Sunnynicci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
On, keep fish & snail in, need to find a way to screen now that temps are rising here in OH.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
On. I have small tanks and loose water fast due to evaporation. When I had larger tanks I kept them off and kept floating plants.

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't use a lid.
It was difficult to keep the light where I needed it for the plants.
Amano Shrimp have escaped before, But no other swimmers have attempted to get out ( wish the MTS would).

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i keep them on as it does help with the evaporation, keeping cat hair out and to keep my cats from trying to fish. plus i have nerites which are known to be escape artists so it makes sure no one escapes. although i do prefer glass or acrylic lids as i find they looks nicer and are better for if you want to see the tank from above

TLOP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For my discus tank I keep a lid on but on my 5.5 gallon spec I keep lid off. It really depends on the type of fish you have

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
On is always better. No risk of something falling in or any fish (particularly common fish like bettas and guppies) jumping out. If I get a tank with no lid, I make my own with plexiglass. I just cut it to a good size and it’s good to go. Here’s and example:
Image1525660073.773472.jpg

The lighting looks bad in the pic but trust me it’s better in person

Rigelian417

Reaction score
On. My snails spend a lot of time at night trying to break out and go on adventures. And my kids are obsessed enough with the fish that if I left the hood off they’d both have their hands in there soon as I turn my head.

I’ve debated getting a mesh screen though to allow for more natural light during the day.....especially for when we aren’t home and all the tank and house lights are off. I have a window near the tank that would let some good light in but it’s not so close that it would booger with the heating.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom