Lid For A Shrimp Bowl?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Briggs, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

I started a 3 gallon planted bowl a few weeks ago for something to do with my leftover hardscape materials and plant cuttings. Since I set it up and got it growing, my mother has been asking me questions about keeping shrimp. (She got one of those little self contained shrimp ecosystems for Christmas and loves them, so she wants to move up to something she can actually interact with outside of being The Scary Hand that turns their world every few days.) I'm planning on giving her this set up and helping her get it ready for a couple of shrimp. I think I've got most angles covered but there is one problem: a lid. The top opening is a little less than 10 inches across, so I was thinking of using a 10 inch embroidery hoop strung with mosquito netting. I need something that light will penetrate for the plants.

Am I overthinking this? Should I just tell her to keep the water level lower and hope they don't crawl up the air tubing? I'd love to hear from anyone who's kept shrimp in large bowls or jars. How likely are they to make a run for it? Do you think the curved sides of the bowl will slow them down at all?

2. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Ah! I had the same setup with a betta, I had a cherry shrimp too. It lasted for a while until I leand on it and it broke. I upgraded to a 10g. I used plastic wrap as a cover. It keeps in humidity really well. I still use it on my 10g.

3. OP
    OP
    Briggs

Did you ever see the shrimp attempting an escape? I'm not so much worried about humidity at this point. SC is preeety damp. I just want to keep the shrimp safe without blocking light to the plants.

Plus, I know my mother, and she is going to want something that can pass for decorative.

4. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

The Shrimp died of natural causes, never once escaped or even attempted. The problem with these bowls Is that it is very complicated, unless you have eqipment to drill holes in for your air stone or other means of filtration. Then their is really no attractive way to cover it with equipment feeding into it Unless you are doing the Walstad method, that will allow you to just put a pot lid on it. mosquito net will Due you fine And so will plastic wrap. Halving the water level is not really going to prevent anything. Shrimp have very powerful tail muscules and easily fling them selves.. unless you were to add only a few inches of water your shrimp can escape it's also not good
    For your plants as they will require the water to Be high enough for their growth. Sometimes the ugly things can be the best
    Hope this helped

5. OP
    OP
    Briggs

Thanks, I'll try to rig it with netting but keep some plastic wrap on hand as a back-up. Thanks for the tip!

6. kluggy

kluggy Valued Member Member

Hi, I'm a shrimp keeper and I've never know any of my Shrimp to plan an escape, I don't use lids either, best of luck :)

7. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I think the craft mesh is the best way to go - you can cut it to fit and light will still go in. They have them in different colors as well as clear.
    As for shrimp, they are jumpers but rarely if ever climb out of the water on their own. In fact, I have java moss and when I lift it out of the water, they all jump off - they don't like being out of the water at all so I doubt they will escape on their own.
    Just keep a few inches of water below the top and you will be fine :)

8. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

I used craft mesh to make a cover for my rather large filter opening. They have all sorts of colors and it was 49 cents for a sheet, I think it was 11x14. I just made a paper template and cut it to fit. I am happy with how it came out, maybe it can work for your shrimpies.

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    Briggs

Oh that's very comforting to hear, thanks. I would hate to get this all set up for my mom and then have them all flee the moment I leave.

I do have some of this on hand already that I used to anchor some java moss. I thought they might be able to crawl through the holes, though, so I had kind of dismissed it. Looking a little closer, I guess it would be a pretty tight squeeze and it sounds like I need a deterrent more than a solid wall. I'll rig up a couple of options before I move it, thanks for the tips you guys!

10. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with @kluggy , I don't think shrimp try to climb out like snails or fish. I have a 40 gallon breeder with no lid and smaller shrimp bowl. The 40 gallon has been running for years and has over 100 maybe 200 RCS. I can't remember finding any shrimp on the floor ever. Have found an occasional fish jumper every few years or so, but never shrimp. Open air or topless tanks look better and are easy to maintain allowing constant access if you need to trim a plant, remove/add something etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice