Liara sulking or just being picky?

Discussion in 'Dwarf Gourami' started by Magoo, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Hello :)

I thought I would ask if anyone else has experienced this with their fish.

I recently had to temporarily change the food I use in the bigger tank as I have got to wait for payday before I can get more.
    I have got the best I had available to me but I know it's inferior.

I was using NLS fresh h20 flakes with garlic and have had to change to tetra pro freshwater crisps that I have pulverised so my endlers and babies can eat.

Liara though won't touch it doesn't even come to the usual feeding ground she just kind of looks at me as if to say what is that your expecting me to eat?

She used to go nuts for the NLS but nothing for the new stuff I didn't realise fish could be so picky. Normally they would get used to the new food eventually and generally variety is good.

She isn't starving though as I have noticed some of my endler fry have mysteriously disappeared which is a little annoying but suppose she is eating something.

She looks perfectly healthy and the tank parameters are perfect so the only thing I can think of is she is either sulking or she doesn't like the food.

I shall be getting some NLS very soon and hopefully she will snap out of it.

Could it be the texture of the new food as it is harder than the flakes but the endlers are munching it down?

I just thought I would ask my fellow fishlorians if you have experienced this in order to put my mind at rest a little

Thank you

2. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

i had those crisps once and didnt like them at all, like you said to hard. try soaking them in tank water and garlic. that should help to encourage her to eat. all my fish love the nls flakes also, i almost have a full cabinet of nothing but nls foods lol.

3. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

Very good advice from Jojo. I wanted to add as well, what type of fish is she? And is it possible she is filling up on fry?

4. OP
    OP
    Magoo

Hello thank you for the replies I have crushed them into little itty bits for the endlers and it goes all paste like when mixed/soaked in water.

Liara is a female neon blue dwarf gourami she is usually such an avid eater I should get my NLS soon though thankfully.

5. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like you have a spoiled fish :)

Not all of us are going to know your fish by name. I do for some reason... I think I'm too much of a fish geek. How's batman today?

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not surprise it doesn't want to eat anything but NLS ;)

7. OP
    OP
    Magoo

Lol there is nothing wrong with being a fish geek ;) sometimes I forget when I talk about them not everyone knows my gang. I was asked the other day by a customer at work how my daughter Liara was and I had to explain she was a fish lol I got a very funny look.

Batman is well thank you :) he is still trying to share his seed with anything that moves the little maniac he does make me laugh :)

I have ordered my NLS Oliver took pity on me and is going to lend me some money woo hoo so I have the h20 flakes on the way and have ordered some community pellets the 1mm ones that I am looking forward to trying too.

She will be munching again soon hopefully

8. OP
    OP
    Magoo

I don't blame her either just wish sometimes the spoilt little madam would cooperate and not make me worry and more importantly not eat my babies if she carries on I will change her name to tiny Tina (borderlands 2 reference :p)

9. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I knew who you were talking about ;) I think she just prefers NLS :)

10. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You can't blame a fish for doing what fish do...

11. C

Somebody thought your fish was your daughter! That is funny! Were you talking about her?!

12. OP
    OP
    Magoo

I don't blame her Jaysee I just wish she wouldn't drive me nuts so much sometimes :p

13. OP
    OP
    Magoo

I was I have some customers who know of my aquatic family and sometimes they come up in conversation. this one customer were convinced she was my daughter lol they thought it was funny too and possibly think I may be a little crazy now too ;)

14. Ava

Ava Valued Member Member

They probably do - but that's okay:) I talk about my babies the same way at work and I get the same reaction when they find out that my "kids" are of the furry or finned variety. To each their own, I guess.

15. OP
    OP
    Magoo

Lol my fish are my babies :) they even send out birthday and Christmas cards ;)

16. C

Wow, my fish have never done any of that.

17. OP
    OP
    Magoo

What can I say I have them very well trained lol.

There is nothing better than giving my dad a birthday card for him to find it is signed from my fish or his grandchildren as I put it lol his face is priceless ;)

18. C

Do they think it's crazy too? ;D

19. OP
    OP
    Magoo

Maybe ;) what can I say I am an avid fish carer lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice