Lfs Wont Buy My Fish!

1. Rosa Jacoby

Rosa Jacoby New Member Member

Hello
    I have telephoned local fish stores near and far. All have said they do not buy fish from people (Or at least they said no to me).
    I just handed in 4 Angels and a common plec (got nothing for the plec of course... because it's common!) for store credit and got some guppies. I'm planing breeding lots of livebearers. I just realised as I typed this that I could sell to these people, but they are 1 to 1 and a half hours away on the bus, depending on the traffic, and my parents don't like driving me places.

My question is:
    If LFSs wont take my fish, should I advertise and sell online through the post? What should I do?

Thank you :)

2. Polyrhythm

Polyrhythm Valued Member Member

You could try the buy/sell/trade section here, or if you're looking for more local buyers you could try Craigslist to avoid shipping costs.

But if you're just selling guppies chances are you won't make too much profit since guppies are so cheap/common, especially if they're just store-bought guppies.

3. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

I would give a LOT of thought to breeding "lots of livebearers".

What will you do if no one wants them?
    Are you old enough to legally sell to people or are you a minor?
    How will not having your own transportation effect your business?

If live bearers are "easy" (my word) to breed - then there's a good chance many other people are already doing that.

I do appreciate your entrepreneurial spirit, though.
    Try to think of something that isn't easy - something not everyone can do. If there's a demand, and your parents are supportive, then you have the potential for a business.

Good luck!

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I tried selling guppies when I was a kid.
    I could get lots of babies, but raising those babies was hard. It took a lot of space. You can't just get them to saleable adult size in days, and they need room or they will be stunted, low quality fish. With the low price of guppies (to the store) it isn't very profitable.
    I was selling swordtails to a local store, and they wanted only adults, 100 at a time. It really wasn't worth it to have three or four large tanks and to make next to nothing.

I would suggest you start by enjoying and learning, and if a chance to make money appears, you look into it then. There is no profit in common fish.

5. C

CPARKTX Valued Member Member

Same here. I ended up having good luck on Nextdoor.

6. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

One thought on breeding live bearers is to focus on rare live bearers. There are many types that are easier to sell, and some that are simply more valuable. They may not be as easy to breed however.

Or focus on documented quality. But I have even seen Moscow colored guppies be unsaleable. So be cautious. Personally, I enjoyed breeding and selling. Will be doing so again. But some sales will end up online.

7. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Livebearers produce tons of fry. Unless you have something very uncommon I doubt you will ever be able to sell them all yourself. And even with some uncommon and pretty color morph don't expect to sell all of them.
    The trick of making money with livebearers is to produce a lot and sell them cheap. Farms are already doing that tho.

If you want to breed livebearers and possibly make some money you would probably need to breed something like goodeids which while not extremely hard to breed they are not as easy as guppys and have a limited market.

If you want to make money I would honestly stay away from fish haha.

8. OP
    OP
    Rosa Jacoby

Thank you all for your answers and tips . I have these big flexible builders/gardening buckets/tubs. I could put fry in here to grow out. If I have quite a few of these going on then I could sell them very chaply. Like having my own fish farm? I'm just hoping to make a bit of money, I know I wont make anywhere near a living from fish haha

9. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Honestly doesn't seem worth the time to me, unless these are some insane, rare livebearers. The market's pretty much oversaturated for livebearers at this point. Really high demand, and an even higher supply. I used to breed livebearers just to feed the fry to my uncle's convicts, keep a few along the way.

10. BeanFish

I would use the tubs to raise other sort of fry. Rachel O Leary has something called "summer tubbing" I would look into that. Without a LFS to sell them to livebearers are risky.

11. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

I would recommend goodeids as well. However they do not breed nearly as fast and have much smaller broods. Or you need an exotic strain like documented N-Class endlers of a neat strain, or show guppies, or rarer swords or mollys.

12. OP
    OP
    Rosa Jacoby

Yeah I watch Rachel O'Leary I'll check out more of those tubbing vids thanks

Yeah thanks maybe I can invest in buying some rare livebearers online?

13. BeanFish

I dont think many people are interested in goodeids which are the most common rare livebearers. If you sell them you could make some money but again, you arent gonna go rich.
    Corydoras and tetras are common fish that sell quickly maybe look into that.
    Again tho, if you want to make money, stay away from fish, do it because you like it.