Lfs Substrate Question

dbla

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I just picked up a couple of handfuls of cycled media from one of my LFS's planted tanks. I want to introduce it to my cycling 10gallon planted tank but I'm curious... Is the best method of doing this to simply drop it in and let it mix with my existing substrate OR, should I add it to my filter's bio media compartment? I am setting up an Eheim Classic 150 tomorrow and could just as easily plop this gravel in with my bio media.

Does it matter?

Thanks!

-A

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would add it to the filter. That is where most of the bb is.

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Donthemon beat me to it. I agree - you will want to colonize the new media directly with the cycled media.

dbla

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Donthemon said:
I would add it to the filter. That is where most of the bb is.
Think it’ll keep in the plastic bag till tomorrow evening??

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get a mesh bag and put it in that than just drop it into the tank till it’s ready to go into the filter. It is media from a filter and not gravel from a tank?

dbla

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
86 ssinit said:
Get a mesh bag and put it in that than just drop it into the tank till it’s ready to go into the filter. It is media from a filter and not gravel from a tank?
It’s gravel from one of their tanks.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure what the plan is with that. Yes there is some bacteria on it so put it in a mesh bag and into your filter. Remove after a month. There’s not much bacteria in it so don’t throw a lot of fish in the tank. Maybe 2 Corys or 2 tetras would work. Give them a week and add another 2. Do that weekly till you end up with what you want

dbla

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
86 ssinit said:
Not sure what the plan is with that. Yes there is some bacteria on it so put it in a mesh bag and into your filter. Remove after a month. There’s not much bacteria in it so don’t throw a lot of fish in the tank. Maybe 2 Corys or 2 tetras would work. Give them a week and add another 2. Do that weekly till you end up with what you want
Cool, I’ve currently got a Betta and two nerites in there. Probably just let them chill for a bit and watch my ammonia.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom