LFS so Stupid!

  • Thread starter

genie

Well Known Member
Messages
888
Reaction score
3
Points
178
Experience
More than 10 years
LFS told me to use melafix on my betta. I gave them an earful. I think they use it on theirs, and their gouramis! HELLO!
 

antisen

Valued Member
Messages
155
Reaction score
0
Points
186
Melafix doesn't say anything on its label about it, so unless the LFS owners are online often they probably wouldn't even know it was bad for them. Hopefully they'll know better now.
 

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Points
176
yeah, i've found it hit or miss with talking to lfs folk. Some really know thier stuff, others are clueless!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

genie

Well Known Member
Messages
888
Reaction score
3
Points
178
Experience
More than 10 years
I know I shouldn't assume-- but you would think that a FISH store would know FISH. Just a theory. I doubt that they will stop, b/c the "fish guy" wasn't there, another person was, so who knows if the "fish guy" will even hear about the potential health effects on labrynth fish. I should write a "Guide to not killing your fish - a better way to do business" Ha ha- I amuse myself. 8)
 

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Messages
582
Reaction score
0
Points
176
That's not a bad idea Genie. I have been thinking about printing the betta care guide at the top of this forum and taking it to my LFS. They are very good with their bettas and put them in large community tanks as soon as they recieve them. I think they would be happy to hand one out to their betta customers.

CherryRose
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

genie

Well Known Member
Messages
888
Reaction score
3
Points
178
Experience
More than 10 years
hey thanks-- I might just do that. If nothing else it might educate the store people.
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,173
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
I know I shouldn't assume-- but you would think that a FISH store would know FISH. Just a theory. I doubt that they will stop, b/c the "fish guy" wasn't there, another person was, so who knows if the "fish guy" will even hear about the potential health effects on labrynth fish. I should write a "Guide to not killing your fish - a better way to do business" Ha ha- I amuse myself. 8)
yea, the "fish guy" or "aquatic expert" at petco has given us great advice like putting 4 female bettas in the same tank, etc.. one time I had to tell them how to sex a platy fish.. and i'm just a newbie to fish. the sad thing about most of these places is that even if they know better, the bottom line is how cheap can they be & making the max. Their attitude pretty much seems to be "make all the profit we can out of the fish and so what if some die - they're just fish." I think we've had it with these places.. we're going to find some good online supply stores to get our supplies from and good breeders to get our fish from.. the only time we're going in the local petco or any of these places that show ZERO effort to provide minimally decent conditions for their fish is when we have a rescue tank up & running again and it's time for the next rescue Betta. Now if we can find a good place in our area that shows some effort to treat their fish humanely, then they are welcome to have our business.

LOL.. If you showed them your guide, they'd show you their "Guide to killing your fish while maxing profit".
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

genie

Well Known Member
Messages
888
Reaction score
3
Points
178
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, you are right. They may even show me the door! lol!! I have a hard time buying fish online b/c of the shipping. And I love to pick out my little creatures-- some of them just "sing" to ya. There is a new store that is supposed to open this spring. Maybe it will open by the time my new tank cycles. AND maybe they will have good fish and fish people. Let's hope so.
 

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Messages
926
Reaction score
2
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
I defiantly don't want the pet shop I am starting up to be like those chain stores. I want to have people that are experienced in my store or tell them to go on here and study before they work for me.
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,173
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
inuyasha_lover_21 said:
I defiantly don't want the pet shop I am starting up to be like those chain stores. I want to have people that are experienced in my store or tell them to go on here and study before they work for me.
You're starting a pet shop? That's great! A little bit of a drive for us, unfortunately.. We wish you well in that venture.

I wish we had the means to start a fish store & sell pampered Bettas.. LOL, my wife would make it an all-Betta store if she could. I can see it now: Bettas-R-Us. I'd love to go over to Thailand & look over (if i could) the places where they hatch & raise the Bettas and make a store with their type of philosophy, if what I hear about their treatment of Bettas is true.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

genie

Well Known Member
Messages
888
Reaction score
3
Points
178
Experience
More than 10 years
You should come up with some study material and a test--lol just like school, but it would make for great employees!!
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,173
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
Yeah, you are right. They may even show me the door! lol!! I have a hard time buying fish online b/c of the shipping. And I love to pick out my little creatures-- some of them just "sing" to ya. There is a new store that is supposed to open this spring. Maybe it will open by the time my new tank cycles. AND maybe they will have good fish and fish people. Let's hope so.
Yea, we do too.. it's like a bittersweet thing shopping there.. I hate supporting a store treating pets so poorly, but you're right about going in & having that special Betta pick you out (like Angel did me).. sadly, we're not likely to have a new fish or pet store in this town for a LONG time. We also hope that store near you is the kind of store we'd run.
 

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Messages
926
Reaction score
2
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
For people who cant come to my store I will also have it online. You will see the fish that you are buying. See the health and everything. I am going to sell all types of bettas. Crowntails, plakats. All of em!
 

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Messages
926
Reaction score
2
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
BTW Genie. I love that test idea. I will have it a Multiple test essayand maybe disease essays on how to cure the right disease and make sure they diagnose the right disease.
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,173
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
inuyasha_lover_21 said:
For people who cant come to my store I will also have it online. You will see the fish that you are buying. See the health and everything. I am going to sell all types of bettas. Crowntails, plakats. All of em!
Great, be sure to post that notice on here. I'm not the only one looking for more Betta options, I'm sure. Hopefully when you have the store open, we won't be living in the yard after the Bettas take over the place.
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,173
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
inuyasha_lover_21 said:
BTW Genie. I love that test idea. I will have it a Multiple test essayand maybe disease essays on how to cure the right disease and make sure they diagnose the right disease.
LOL.. the people at the store here probably couldn't even SPELL disease.
 

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Messages
926
Reaction score
2
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
LOL thats a good one. I wonder what the LOGO design should be. Little fishes around the name or what.
 

antisen

Valued Member
Messages
155
Reaction score
0
Points
186
If you're serious about the store logo, drop me an e-mail and I'd be willing to make you one. I really like the idea and would be happy to support it in the only way I really can.
 

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Messages
926
Reaction score
2
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
I am very serious. I need to save up first though before I think about the logo.I will definatly e-mail you once I make the building bigger and wider. I want the logo to be beautiful and I want a decal for the van. I dont know when I will reach this goal but I know it will happen. Thank you for your support. I greatly appreciate it .

Also I hope the decal will match the website and hope there are some website designers on this board to help me.
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,173
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
inuyasha_lover_21 said:
I am very serious. I need to save up first though before I think about the logo.I will definatly e-mail you once I make the building bigger and wider. I want the logo to be beautiful and I want a decal for the van. I dont know when I will reach this goal but I know it will happen. Thank you for your support. I greatly appreciate it .

Also I hope the decal will match the website and hope there are some website designers on this board to help me.
I used to design websites before I moved to Denver in 2000 and switched over to network operations, now I'm doing videography. So you have at least 1 rusty web monkey on here.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom