LFS selling baby angelfish!?

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Gena, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

So I was minding my own business, waiting for the dwarf puffies to come in from the airport at an LFS and ERMAGAWD! There was a swarm of nickel sized blobs looking at me! The label said baby angel fish - $5. Is it rare for them to be sold so young? I'm terribly curious about it. They were so cute. Some of them were penny sized. So, so, so cute. I kinda wanted one but then I thought about what it is going to grow up to be and nah, I'll pass.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Sad to say, but they may not survive if sold too soon. The stress of changing tanks and hands would be too much for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Nickel sized are probably okay. Folks sell them that size online all the time, I'm sure they wouldn't be shipping them all over the country if they were still too sensitive to survive changing tanks (not to mention the stress of shipping them)

4. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Angelfish are really wonderful fish. I want to have 4 of them in my 75 tank when it's set up again.

But as for the size they are sold at, most of the angelfish at my LFS are that size or just a little larger. They are a bit more expensive than what you were offered. the angelfish at my LFS are usually $8+ depending on their size.

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I've bought my Blue Marble Angelfish dime size from a NY breeder and all 6 were healthy and grew into adulthood.

Some breeders will sell as small as pea size, but there are more risk when shipping at that size.

6. OP
    OP
    Gena

I thought that someone locally traded them in for store credit, I never considered that they were ordered from a distributor.

7. Mrsoctober

Mrsoctober Valued Member Member

I got mine a couple of months ago at dime size and neither were doing so well from the LFS not me. They both had fin rot. I nursed them back to health. My Pinoy veil male has gotten huge already.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've really enjoyed watching them grow.

8. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Angels are so easy to breed, that growing out fry would not be very profitable. Actually, this is why what is available at most stores are small juvis. No matter what kind of fish it is. The smaller the fish, the cheaper it is to ship.

People who are in the business of shipping fish will tell you that shipping small juvis is easier than shipping larger fish. I'm not sure why, but juvis have a better chance of surviving the trip than adults

9. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Possibly becauseof more oxygen req. , just a guess.

10. t

tameone Valued Member Member

My favorite LFS sells nickle-sized angels all the time (some even dime size). They nearly always have a tank of them and they all look healthy. I bought mine from them nickle sized. His body is now 1.5 inches tall and he's healthy as can be.

11. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

How big are nickels and dimes please? And pennies?

12. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

A quick google search will give the correct size of this change.

13. OP
    OP
    Gena

A penny is about the size of a pence.

A quarter is about the size of a pound.

And dimes are even smaller than a pence.

14. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

A pence? :)

15. OP
    OP
    Gena

Meh, I mean two pence coin. I haven't been to Britain since I was eight. At the time I called a two pence a pence. Everyone found it very entertaining.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice