LFS says all tests will always give false ammonia reading from Amquel+ Help

Discussion in 'Test Kits' started by FLGirl, Apr 14, 2010.

1. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Hey guys, I called my LFS to see if they had any ammonia test that's compatible with Amquel+ and she said there wasn't one at all. I told her like what the bottle said on the back and that there is suppose to be one on the website so she looked it up to see if she could get it for me. Then she said she would call around and call back but they fact that they say you have to buy THEIR test kit to get a correct reading made her a little leery of the products. Amquel+ has been the only thing that has consistently worked with my high tap water nitrates so using another product like prime (which i tried) isn't an option. I didn't realize that the only test that is suppose to work is theirs I thought it just had to could be something like theirs, powder or salicylate reagents (except API) like the bottle says. I'm not comfortable using the api if I may be getting false readings. Id just rather be sure. Iv been using the test anyway since I don't have another and right now it usually stays pretty light but not quite 0 when I use it. Id say between 0 & .25 sometimes leaning towards .25 but not sure if thats right or wrong. :;dk What do you guys think? Do all the Amquel+ users buy the kit from the site?

2. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

the cheapest solution is to test your water 24 hours or more after using amquel+ or prime to get a true reading ....

3. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

It seems like most buy the kardon test. However, some have said that if you wait 24 hours to test, which you would probably do anyway, the API tests are accurate. Personally, I'd get the powder-based.

4. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

I seen my LFS had some powder based kits for all the different things when I was there last but would any kit work or does it have to be from Kordon? The Amquel+ bottle doesn't say it has to be Kordon but IDK maybe it does?

I also seen some Salicylate tests for the different things. I didn't look at them close they where square boxes and on the said like NH4 etc. I think they where a grayish or maybe not color. does anyone know what those were?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  5. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

It's incompatible because the water conditioner turns the chloramine in the tap water into chlorine and ammonia. The ammonia is converted to ammonium, which is not toxic but still shows up on the test. So, even though you are cycled, you'll get a false reading because of the waterchange.

6. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

I don't have chloramine in my water glad I don't have to worry about that too lol well she called back and said they have a test that is suppose to work with prime so with the Amquel or Amquel+ too it's by instant ocean and is 9.99 (on sale she said) what do you guys think? :;f

7. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

do you have a well? if not, you probably have chlorimines...most city waters do now a days......just remember the advice you get here, is free,,,and your LFS makes money off you ..and in your OP "Hey guys, I called my LFS to see if they had any ammonia test that's compatible with Amquel+ and she said there wasn't one at all." which is false.....so IMO, they are reaching for stars and trying to make a buck off you because you did some research and know that in fact there is something that can work with it ...

8. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Hmmm, will it still provide a false reading if the water doesn't have chloramine?

How do you know it doesn't?

They want your $10!

9. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

Many treatment plants are still using chlorine instead of chloramines so it's possible that, even if using city water, there's no chloramines in it. What you should do is just treat some water straight out of the tap with AmQuel+ and test it for ammonia. You might as well also test it for nitrate which your tap water may contain.

10. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

That's how you know :)

11. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

yes we have our own well. Iv tested straight tap for ammonia before and it was 0 I was just saying I don't have chlorine so I don't have to think about that aspect too just saying less to think about :;dk Kordon didn't say you can only use their test so thats why i was wondering if anyone uses a different test, it was mostly stressed to me that I could use not API. Thanks everyone

12. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

sorry double posted! :;smack

13. jcahowNew MemberMember

Get a Seachem Ammonia test kit. It will tell you if you really have toxic Ammonia as it tests for two types of Ammonia. One type is toxic and the other is non toxic and can be ignored. Prime and Amquel+ will show positive Ammonia on other tests as they see the non toxic Ammonia and give false readings.

14. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I use Amquel + and I also use the API (liquid) Master Test Kit. There hasn't been any issues of false readings. Be sure to wait 24 hours to test after adding it to your tank for a more accurate reading. I've used Amquel + for many years.

Also, Nova Aqua can be used in addition to Amquel + . It adds body slime and reduces stress.

Ken

15. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Thanks, Iv been waiting 24 hrs and I think that it has been working fine that way.... I always write down all my results and the time after Iv added the Amquel+ to be sure I wait 24 hours (usually its a little longer than 24hrs just to be sure).....I had around .25 ammonia for a long time but I believe it was just part of the cycle because it finally went down to a for sure zero and has been that way for a long time since (still testing daily).

Iv been planning on eventually getting the Nova Aqua and using it together with Amquel+ but I had stress coat already and it was a just a little more $$$ than I had. I just ran out of stress coat though so hopefully will pick up some of the Nova Aqua soon. I'm very happy with the Amquel+ product.

16. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

Has the tank completely cycled (I know your ammonia is zero based on the previous post but what about nitrite)? And are you still using the AmQuel+? If your tank has cycled, I would just use the NovAqua+ by itself and save the AmQuel+ for emergencies. It's not bad to use the AmQuel+, but it would be more beneficial to use NovAqua+ since there's no ammonia/nitrite to detoxify and the nitrates are removed with regular water changes. If your tank hasn't completed it's cycle, disregard this message.

17. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Yes and No. It has technically been cycled and had Ammonia 0 and Nitrite 0 for awhile then for some reason I went thru I guess a mini cycle is what you would call it no idea why :;dk my ammonia stayed zero but my nitrite and nitrate just shot up if you want you can read the thread https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-beginners/71574-my-tank-went-absolutely-mad-today.html maybe something got in the tank, IDK....Its gone back down now (Amm. 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate less than 5 changing daily) but I'm still changing the water everyday and testing...when I feel its been stable that way long enough I'll try not changing it again and monitor what happens.

I do have to continue to use the Amquel+ though even when Im cycled because there is nitrate in my tap water and the Amquel+ takes care of that but I'll be getting the NovAqua+ and using them together. Thanks for replying! :)

18. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

How much nitrate is in your tap? Whether you use AmQuel+ or not, It'll still show up on your test. But your nitrates really shouldn't be increasing that much everyday. If you're needing to do daily water changes because of nitrate, then something is seriously wrong. How much do you feed your fish? Unless you're starving them, you should cut back on the amount of food you're giving them. Fish have tiny stomachs and don't need nearly as much food as we tend to give them.

19. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

I don't want to be rude but the original reason I posted this back in April has been resolved and this is sort of going off in a new direction that I don't really wish to go on with or need help with though I appreciate the effort. :;hug2 My tank is going well and I will for sure post if things mess up....:;hp