LFS laugh of the day! Funny

1. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

We have all experienced employees at pet stores that give us some very interesting information in regards to this hobby. Yes, there is a a LOT to know, but I feel like you should at least have a basic understanding before you sell people things. That being said, I want to start a thread about all our funny, or just plain stupid, experiences!

My latest is from Petco (i know). I went in to buy some amano, or "algae", shrimp to restock my crew. I told her I just wanted 2 amano shrimp and she didn't know what I was talking about, so I told her I meant algae (cause that's how they're labeled). Not a big deal. I told her I wanted at least 1 large one so I would have a female. There were numerous size differences, except she told me "they all look the same size". She didn't need to do this cause there were about 12 in the tank, but she proceeded to move a giant lava rock piece and crushed one, almost killing fish as well. Then my favorite part is when she bagged them and asked me, "are you feeding these to something?"
    ...yeah

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, people ought to know about what they sell. However, pet stores are just one of a long list of examples of how little today's employees know about their products. It's pervasive.

Next time you are out at a restaurant, test the servers knowledge of the menu. Many won't know any more about the food they sell than pet store employees know about the animals they sell. I can understand why some high school kid making minimum wage wouldn't care enough to learn - there's no other incentive to, other than pride in one's work, which obviously isn't enough motivation. The server's income is related to their knowledge of the food, which is a pretty big incentive and yet many still can't be bothered. It all comes down to taking pride in your work, whether it's a job or a career.

Something funny - one time I was in petsmart looking around, and some guy walks up and asks me to help him pick out a filter. So I say I'd be happy to, and take him around the corner and led him to the canisters. jk :) Anyway, I help the guy pick out all his stuff, and when he's done he thanks me and says he's gonna tell the manager how helpful I was. I said how nice that was, but you'll likely confuse him because I don't work here. He looked befuddled, like he felt he owed me something. So I said have a nice day and walked away.

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I do agree that they should know what they sell, but also they can only really know what is told to them. If the company tells them they are called japanese algae shrimp then thats what they know.

At least they carry them now, made me happy to find them hehe

Im glad at my local Petco all the folks who work in the aquatics department own tanks and know what there doing and it shows. There is one who doesn't but you can tell right off. Right now I think anything is a job...

4. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Isnt there a thread like this already going?

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Isn't there always ;) I think the other thread is titled worst LFS advice.

6. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Yes there is :) That's probably ok though, it was getting kind of long!

7. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

sorry, should have searched first. i guess "Funny LFS stories" sounds better than "Worst LFS advice"

8. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

That is funny. I agree, people just dont take pride in their work anymore. Customer service these days stinks!!

9. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

It's hard to give customer service when the majority of your customers are "words that can't be said on FL" :D

I love when I tell people they've destroyed their hard drive from spilling water on to the computer and then dropping it. They think I'm lying to them...

10. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Yah, people aren't like they used to be.

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

You'd be surprised at how many people spill liquid on their laptops and then knock it off of a table.

12. cameronpalte Member Member

I wish people knew what they were selling before they sold it. I am currently dealing with 4 goldfish in a 20g tank because of people at petco misinforming me.

13. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Since this a funny lfs laugh thread how about one going the other way being something I had to walk away and laugh about (sorry I work at a lfs so I don't go in to others and rarely listen to the people in them if I do)

I had a guy wanting to buy a tank. I took him through the different sizes and told him its best to buy whatever can fit in the house and fits their budget. I went on to tell him the bigger the tank the more choices in fish that you have.

He decided on the fluval edge (6 gallon I think? I don't remember we stopped carrying them) and then informed me that he was going to be putting discus in it and he's been researching the perfect tank for them and he spilled out all this "knowledge" about them basically slamming in my face that I was wrong. I just simply said the tank is great and gave him a couple freshwater beginner packets and told him the hobby is much more fun the more research you do so I told him to continue what he's doing until he really decides on what he wants.

I'm not allowed to tell a customer no to anything so I just had to give the best advice I could and walk away. Laughing along the way but quitely and to myself. :p

14. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

That's pretty funny. Can you even fit an adult discus in a 6 gallon?

15. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I don't think so, I talked to him a little about how delicate they are and how they do much better in huge tanks (since even a 29 would be "bigger" compaired to a 6) he was just so set on discus in that tank.

16. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I also worked at a lfs for some time (ewatson- I was allowed to tell customers NO if it was something really stupid like discus in an Edge).

At that time, I was the only employee besides the owner. He was a salt guy exclusively (and taught me a ton about salt) but we did have a nice freshwater section with 50x 55 gallon tanks. A customer came in that had been in there previously and had been helped by the owner when I wasn't there. He had a new tank with Mbuna and peacocks, that was still cycling. He wanted to chuck like 12 more cichlids in there. I tested his water with the API kit, showed him the results, and explained basic cycling info and why that wouldn't be a good idea. I politely advised him to leave empty handed and go do a water change, and keep coming in for water testing since he wasn't going to purchase a kit of his own. He looked at me like I had 2 heads and asked to talk to the owner. The owner came out of the office, looked at the guy's test results, and sent him home with some bacteria in a bottle, telling the customer "You know, she knows more about freshwater than I do."

When my husband and I tell people about our fishroom, they usually look at him and mention how much work it must be for him. He has to explain that I do the majority of the maintenance and all the shipping. ;D