lfs has some apistogrammas, have some questions

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by wagz, Dec 20, 2012.

1. wagzNew MemberMember

Hi there,

I have a 75 gallon heavily planted tank. Currently have lf zebra danios, sterbai cory's, zebra otos, threadfin and celebes rainbows, and some blue eye forktail (furcata) rainbows, still small. I recently purchased 2 german blue rams. Think they are both males. A little chasing, nothing lethal. Anyway my lfs has just gotten in some apistogramma: cacatuoides, agassizii double red, and trifasciata blue. They are young and not too colored yet. Sexing may be difficult, but not impossible. I was hoping to get two pair, probably the cacatuoides, along with the agassizii double red, but may the trifasciata blue. Questions are will there be issues with my other fish? Is this too many with the current blue rams. Do you recommend just one additional pair? I would wait to see how one pair does, but these go fast and they can't get them often. Also, not interested in breeding at this point. Any suggestions and which species?
    Thanks,
    Doug

2. cichlidmac

cichlidmacWell Known MemberMember

Dwarf cockatoos are pretty easy to sex. Does the threadfin mind the rams?

3. OP
    OP
    w

wagzNew MemberMember

So far the rams only pay attention to each other and leave everything else alone. And when I say rams, i mean the bigger more colored one chases the other whenever it seems like a good idea. Same with threadfins, they flare at each other, but don't get into it with anything else. (so far). I am reading that more than one type of apisto may be bad, they don't have dwarf cockatoos.

After some googling, it appears only one species should be kept in one tank. ph 7 to 7+, the cockatoo and agg double red are both so cool looking, hard to choose.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2012
  4. cichlidmac

Dwarf cockatoo = apistogramma cacatuiodes.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  5. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

The threadfins are rainbows, no? They'll have nothing to do with the cichlids.

6. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Rams and apistos like the cockatoo can get along ok, and in 75g should be fine after some dominance/territory scuffling. Probably no issues with those little rainbow species at all.

7. cichlidmac

I was thinking threadfin acara cichlids

8. Jaysee

They're on your mind ;)

9. OP
    OP
    w

wagzNew MemberMember

yes threadfin rainbows. So googling more, probably best to keep one type of apisto. Cockatoos, (now that i know what it means its much easier to spell), I guess are not too aggressive and look good. the Aggasazii double reds look good too. I'm thinking of trying to get two males as problems seem to happen once spawning starts. It may be hard to sex them at their age. The fish store almost doesn't want to help, it's like they want you to end up with females, since so many of their species they carry-the prettier males get bought up, and they're stuck trying to get rid of plain females. Anyways, any suggestions. Oh, what about my six cory's?Water is 79f. Usually was in the 7.6-7.8ph range, but was a 7 last time I checked. I did add quite a bit of manzanita branches. no idea on kh, but I bet its on the upper end. Buffalo water pluse lots of seiryu stone.have a kit but haven't used. Any votes?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  10. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

The cories should be fine with apistos.
    Agasizzis are quite small, whereas I believe cockatoo males get to around 4.5 inches. I think Cockatoos are fairly easy to sex early...but I don't know.

11. cichlidmac

Lol yes they are :)

Cockatoo males are usually around 3.5" as adults. They are easy to sex early in my experience.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2012
  12. OP
    OP
    w

wagzNew MemberMember

Size isn't an issue, I don't think, unless you're saying they're bigger and might eat the furcatas easier. The threadfins aren't too big either. So, are you voting cockatoos. I know it's my decision. I love em both.

13. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I was just mentioning that because I thought you might have a preference one way or the other. I personally prefer slightly larger fish I can see well from across the room.

14. OP
    OP
    w

wagzNew MemberMember

OK, more googling, it is unclear weather I would be better off with a pair, or two males. Not interested in breeding. lot of sites recommend pairs or 1 to 2. Some say 1 male is ok. trying to avoid agreesion of breeding female spawning. some say males will just fight another male and won't show much color without female. Also, would it be better to get males of a different species, like 1 cockatoo and an agasazii. Any advice?

15. Jaysee

In a tank that big, you won't have anything to worry about. If it were a 20 gallon, that would be another matter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice