Lfs Did Me!!! But I Don't Want To Give Up On Him/her.. Any Advice!? Help

Discussion in 'Gold Barb' started by Benfreshwater, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Benfreshwater

BenfreshwaterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +147
    Experience:
    Just started
    So I bought 6 new Gold Barb's from my LFS this evening, looking in the tank of about 50 small fish all looked well, I couldn't see any with any issues.

Until the guy in the shop fished the 6 "random" ones out bagged them up in a non see through bag and me and my kids paid for them and walked away.

Arriving home I noticed one has a really bent tail/back and it's dorsal and tail fins are all shredded.

Poor guy can barely swim he just sat at the bottom of my tank so I've put him into the baby tank with a Algea wafer to help him get a good feed if anything at all...

Tbh I don't think he will last the night but any advice would be great?

Here's a photo just so you can get a idea and feel sorry for him/her just as much as I do! MVIMG_20190820_192148.

2. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

Ratings:
    +147
    Experience:
    Just started
    Quick update... It's dead already :-( I'll be going back to the LFS tomorrow! MVIMG_20190820_193210.

3. Magicpenny75

Magicpenny75Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,252
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That stinks. I'd get my money back and also let them have a piece of my mind. Non-see-thru bag....what a buncha garbage. I'll never leave a store without seeing the fish up close and personal in the bag before I pay. Hope the next round works out better for you.

4. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,333
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Bummer. I bought 16 flame tetras from Big Als, specifically asked the guy NOT to net the bent deformed ones, I looked away to not look over his shoulder, he gave me two! That makes me so angry that they dupe ppl like that.

I will be looking over the shoulders next time and looking closely at the bag before I go home. Def a pile of garbage!

5. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

Ratings:
    +147
    Experience:
    Just started
    He put them into a clear bag, then put that bag into a standard white plastic bag and tied the top so I never got a look in and I was too preoccupied with my 2 young children running around me. The other 5 seem fine but I'm not too pleased cause I don't like to think fish suffer. Especially not in my tank!

6. Mongo75

Mongo75Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +236
    I tell them, "that one there...no, not that one, this one here." Always get the exact one I want. The customer is always right, or at least when choosing the fish they want and not what they want to pawn off on us. By all means, look over their shoulder. It's your money, you get to choose!

7. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

Ratings:
    +147
    Experience:
    Just started
    To be honest I usually do but when I take the kids I spend more time watching them. I had a good look at them all in the tank but I must of missed the little guy. Moral of the story is to go when I don't have the kids with me.

8. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,333
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    So nice that the fish store person took advantage of you juggling the kids. I just had to say that, and it's still garbage. Who nets someone a fish like that? It probably just got stuck in the net!

9. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

Ratings:
    +147
    Experience:
    Just started
    I hope the person in the shop wasn't as low as to use my children to there advantage but it is something that crossed my mind. But possible it was damaged in the netting process so I can't be sure I guess. Teaches me to be more on the ball (with no kids) next time

10. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,333
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You're really nice, but I know the person at the chain store netted me those flame tetras on purpose after I just specifically asked him not to give me any like that. Some ppl wouldn't notice when they are that small, but I did and pointed them out. It's because I bought 16 of them in one bag.

At least they were just deformed and not at death's door. Hopefully it just got stuck in the net and the person didn't notice. Idk.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  11. yinoma2001

yinoma2001Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +177
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yup. I look like a stalker, methodically watching the fish I want for a long period of time whenever I'm at a fish store. I watch how they interact (are they bullied or the bullier?), whether they have any deformities or other illness. I don't let them randomly pick for me and when they scoop them out I ask to see them up close again. It's your money!

12. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

Ratings:
    +147
    Experience:
    Just started
    I think some people do probably do it on purpose. They try clearing the tank of all the scraggly ones first so the tank looks prettier as the fish start to grow a little. Like you say the fish were so small that it was difficult to spot any deformaty without stopping each fish individually for a body check.

13. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

Ratings:
    +147
    Experience:
    Just started
    I need to have that attitude i must be to trusting as I know if someone came to me is do as much as I could to ensure they get the best

14. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,333
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Totally agree. I wouldn't have netted that fish for someone in a million years. Especially ill fish, they could destroy someone's whole tank (if they don't QT). I feel it's too easy to see in the net, I mean c'mon. Sorry I'm done.

15. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,724
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    To be honest I simply wouldn't buy any fish if and when deformed or clearly sick fish are in the school or even the same tank.

16. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,333
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yep, learned my lesson when I really wanted some rummynose tetras. Didn't heed the warnings of listless fish with white marks in the tank, all the rummies had columnaris! I remember the store clerk said as he netted one of them "oops I won't give you that one". Well at least he was nice enough not to net the sick looking ones. We all learn our lessons somehow. Now I know all about columnaris.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  17. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,270
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    A good store would have culled that fish. For them to have actually netted it and sold it is not a good sign. Petco/Petsmart they may not know any better but a private place where that’s his business I’d be moving on. If no place else to go from now on I’d be looking over his shoulder.

18. OP
    OP
    Benfreshwater

Ratings:
    +147
    Experience:
    Just started
    It luckily isn't somewhere I usually go, there is a very good lfs near me which I trust the guy 110% but my kids wanted to go somewhere different and the place I went has a garden centre there too so my kids were happy to walk around that. ... I blame my kids it's all there fault!!! (Joke) haha